Green Abu 7000B

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by USE TO BE, Jul 23, 2007.

1. USE TO BE

USE TO BE New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I ordered a new green 7000B from an online source for what I thought was a really good price - both will go unnamed. Anyway, is there that much of a difference between the bushing and bearing Abu reels? Will the bearings give me a noticeable distance in casting? I thought I could add bearings and convert it to a C3 for $20 or so.

2. kyjake

kyjake New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I prefer bushings to bearings as they are not as likely to be affected by dirt and saltwater.Bearings will probably add a little distance to casting.Bushings need to be oiled regularly but this can be taken care of without taking reel apart.
    Jake

3. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    i have a 6000 and a 6500c3 and they both seem pretty darn smooth. smooth enough that i dont see any reason to change either one. if i would upgrade an older model abu it would be the drag not the berrings the carbontex drags are nice:cool2:

4. cathouse

cathouse New Member

State:
    NY
    I have both and don't see a noticeable differance for the average caster to hit a fishing taeget under normal conditions , but i do agree about the bushings being more tolerable to debris than bearings . Also there are plenty of reels still around that are decades old that still cast flawlessly . You know bearings are relatively new compared to bushing reel .

5. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    If you're going for long distance casting, then the bearings will make a difference in distance. I think they're a little smoother also when oiled right. The ceramic bearings don't need oil and get really smooth once broke in. You can get your bushings broke in to cast good too, just takes a little longer. I use bushings when fishing sandy areas, the sand can get into them and tear them up. If you service your reels alot, then the bearings are ok. If you don't service your reels often other than just squirting a little oil in them, I'd stick to the bushings.

6. USE TO BE

USE TO BE New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I got the 7000B today. I can't really notice a difference in distance between it and my C3. It is a bit more noisy during the cast though. I put some carbontex washers in her and she sure is smooth. I like the green covers with the gold accented star drag and Abu insignia, really nice looking reel. Definately worth the 69.99 price.

7. StormCaster

StormCaster New Member

State:
    New York
    Bearings is definitely better for distance and it is noticable.

8. polecatter

polecatter Member

State:
    Oklahoma

David,

If you are a true bump and grind catman and fish in all kinds of inclement weather and conditions, then you got the right "abu" reel for the job. (Just my personal opinion.) I prefer Penn, but you got yourself a really nice reel. Hope you enjoy it and catch a lot of the big ones.

9. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio

I saw them at that same online place for that price. The green 7000B is my favorite reel. I perfer it over my 7000 Big Game or even my 7000C3's.

10. Matth2083

Matth2083 New Member

State:
    Raleigh
    I got 7000B myself, great so far, not sure if I'm digging the star drag so much though, its my first baitcasting reel so I may just have to get used to it. Great reel though.