greedy little flathead catfish

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by flatheadhunterx, Feb 1, 2006.

1. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    i have a 30 gal tank in my house which houses 2 blues one bout 6 inches and 1 bout 4 inches and i dont know if its a flattie or a bullhead bout 8 inches. it looks like a identical to a flattie but its bottom lip doesnt stick out past its top lip. anyway i had about 10 goldfish i put in there that were about 4 inches long so i moved them outside with the rest of my goldfish and put 2 doz. new one in there about a inch long till they get alittle larger to move outside. this was tues. got up wednesday to find 9 goldfish left. the larger blue looked alittle swollen in the belly but the other one that looks like a flattie looked as though he ate a tennis ball. i thought he was gonna pop. there wasnt any activity in there the first few hrs so i thought they would be ok. but when the lights went out i guess it was a different ball game then lol. so now i guess i will release them into a local pond.

2. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    A few years ago I got this 50 gal. tank at a yard sale for 45 dollars, I started putting leftover bait in to take next time. I caught this little bass out gill fishing one time he wasn't more than three inches long when I put him in there. Well I started bringing home river minnows I'd catch as I left the dam, now these minnies are at least 3 inches long. As soon as I'd dump in a dozen or so that little bass would go NUTZ, chasing them and eating them. He could swallow the first two, but he would not stop chasing them till he had at least 3 tails sticking out his mouth.It was the funniest thing, this little 3 inch fish swimming around with two inches of minnies sticking out of his mouth.

3. beaneye46

beaneye46 New Member

State:
    indiana
    aquariums are pretty amazing i think. i dont have any catfish, but i have a smallmouth bass. i tried to imitate his original habitat as much as possible with sand and rocks from his original home. plus he's easy to feed. i just go out to the shed and catch a cricket or dig up small worms. if hes lucky he gets minnows. i call him my ninja fish cause his prey dont even know what hit them till there getting diggested

4. BigCatSteve

BigCatSteve New Member

State:
    Huber Heights,Ohio
    Hey Fat where did you get 2 blues that size

5. flatheadhunterx

State:
    South Carolina
    i was trying to catch some large shad behind wateree dam in columbia with a 7 ft cast net and caught at least 200 of these little fellows. had a hard time getting them all out of my net. prob killed alot of them i amde two throws and caught that many both times so i gave up on that bait catching trip. the other cat i caught out of a local river while trying to catch bream.

6. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i know you used to be able to buy baby blues and channels at super-pets. or was it pets-mart? they were only like 1.50 each then. my freind had 2 baby blues he got there and all they done was race back and forth in the tank. ate everything else too.

7. BigCatSteve

BigCatSteve New Member

State:
    Huber Heights,Ohio
    i didnt know you could buy them at a petshop,maybe i will raise some to put in nates pond.dont think he will mind knowing how big they will get

8. SangamonCatKiller

SangamonCatKiller New Member

State:
    central illinois
    Sounds like some interesting things to watch!. I have bought a tank and now I think I will go see what I can net to put in for something to do.....

9. Rat

Rat New Member

State:
    Forrest Illinoi
    Flatheadhunter, 2 years ago I had 2 bullheads in a tank with 5 or 6 bluegills. Next morning, nothing left two very fat bullheads. You could even see the dorsal fin of one of the bluegills making bumps on the belly of one of them. If you want to find out for sure if it's a bullhead or flathead, get him to open his mouth with something that won't hurt him and look at the tooth pad on the top of the mouth. If it's a flathead, it'll have a point on each end that points back towards the throat. If it's a bullhead, the ends will be rounded. If I was forced to make a guess, I'd say it's a bullhead. If you check it out, let me know.
    Rat

10. flatheadhunterx

State:
    South Carolina
    Rat checked the mouth like you told me to do. the teech pattern isnt round or pointed it is kinda square if you know what i mean. all four corners are corners none of them are rounded if this makes sense. this little thing locked on my thumb and wouldnt let go though. lol just dangled there in the water for a moment be he swam back down.

11. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    in my tank i have a male blue channel about 7 inches and a female channel around 5 inches, all i do to feed them is go once a week to Jack's and pick up 2 dozen feeder fish and put them in. Its really cool to turn the light off after putting them in and watching the channel cats go nuts. The other cat i had before them was a albino channel that was close to 20 inches long!!!! hes in the pond now because he was too big for the tank, also try giving you Blues small pieces of hotdogs. They will love them and they get big quick on them

12. Rat

Rat New Member

State:
    Forrest Illinoi
    Flatheadhunter, I'm not sure I follow you. You're talking about the tooth pad on the top of the upper jaw? It'll be a pinkish red color, curved like a bow. On a fish that size, it'll be real narrow, prolly about half the width of a pencil. I'll see if I can post a picture tomorrow. I've never heard of a toothpad with square corners. Wonder if you got a hybrid of some type?
    Rat

13. flatheadhunterx

State:
    South Carolina
    rat the tooth pad isnt sqared as in a box none of the four corners are round,each side looks like the end of a rectangle. does this describe it better. it is about the width of a pencil lead. i measured him he is 5 & 3/4 inches long. i am thinking its a bull head because he has a overbite instead of the distinct under bite a flattie has.

14. Rat

Rat New Member

State:
    Forrest Illinoi
    Here's a picture of a flatheads toothpad. Notice the points on the ends. A bullhead won't have these points, the ends will be rounded and won't extend back at all. If you are seeing anything like the end of a rectangle, I'd say it's a flathead. The ends are flat, but go into a point.
    Sorry about getting you gnawed on, Lol, but if you feel like trying again, there should be a point at the end of that flat area.
    Rat

Attached Files:

15. flatheadhunterx

State:
    South Carolina
    rat that is sim. but the point isnt that distiguished. it doesnt extend that far towards its throat. it is identical to a rectangle. but def. not rounded