Greatings from the arm pit of California!

Discussion in 'LOCAL CALIFORNIA TALK' started by Moonlightn, Dec 14, 2007.

1. Moonlightn

Moonlightn New Member

State:
    California
    Good day all!
    My name is Ron and I have recently moved to Bakersfield California. I am a bank fisherman my personal best (on a rod) was a 39lb. flat caught in Franklin Co. Ks. I am trying to adjust to the Cal. DFG laws and regulations. Originally I am from northeast Kansas were the rules are a lil' more relaxed. I would like to say hello to all who love the whiskers and I am looking forward to sharing info with y'all.... Could someone please share with me why does California have minimal waters with flathead swimming in them?
    Ron

2. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Welcome brother.....I first thought to myself....Which arm pit....lol! I am 100 miles north of you (Fresno). I wish i could answer your question bout them flatts.. I never caught one. Like to some day:big_smile:There are a few guys in your kneck of the woods.....Anyay...Welcome to the Central Valley...

3. Moonlightn

Moonlightn New Member

State:
    California
    Thanks for the welcome Robb!!
    You should be advised to never catch one then. I remember my first, it was 8 lbs. on a purple roadrunner with a ultralight setup in a log jam. I have not been the same since.

4. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    You welcome brother.......hope to wet a line with you......How long you been here in Cali?

5. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Moonlightn, welcome from Southern Calif..... Usually I travel through Bakersfield on my way somewhere else.... Isabella is one place. If you haven't been to Bob's bait Bucket on Chester, then you have not been to the better bait/tackle shop.

PS.... where have you found flats in California?

bayrunner ray

6. Moonlightn

Moonlightn New Member

State:
    California
    I lived in Orange Co. for one year and in Kern Co. for another year. When I found out there wasn't any flathead local I went into fishing depression for some time.
    About those flats, I was told that I had to go to the Colorado river. That is the word from Bob's bait anyway.

7. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Wow....Them flatts must put on a pretty good fight?

8. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Ron welcome to the BOC :big_smile:

9. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Hi Ron and a BIG Old Welcome to the BOC!!!! We have A Bunch of Members Out there in the Great State Of California and They will help You out on places to fish them cats.As far as the Fishing Rules Go Can't help you out much there,But Why not try some Gernades and if the DNR stops Ya Just tell um Your Gold Mining. and if that don't work just give us a shout and We'll come get You out of Jail.LOL. Glad to have You on Board.J.D.
    :big_smile_2::big_smile_2::beat_brick::cat::0a20::0a23::0a18::0a17::byebye:

10. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Welcome aboard Ron.
    It's true that if you want flatheads you have to hit the Colorado River. Not only that but you have to fish it south of Lake Mead (Hoover Dam) and probably south of Lake Mojave and Davis Dam as I have not heard of any one catching Flats from Mojave.
    Keep in mind that flatheads have only been introduced into the lower Colorado River system since around 1960.
    The best fishing for Flatheads is generally from the area of Topoc Marsh south to the Mexican Border.
    Summer and fall are the best fishing times but it's also the most hellish time to be in the Sonora Desert where daytime temps commonly hit 110 and higher and the nights seldom cool off to 85.
    Late fall is a little better with cooler nights.
    Flatheads can be caught at Lake Havasu and south of Parker Dam with good sized flats coming from the Blythe area down to Imperial Dam. Don't miss the canal system around Blythe/Palo Verde especially the drainages.
    Remember if you go that an Arizona river stamp ($3.00) is required to fish on the Colorado river from a boat or from the Az. bank of the river. It also allows you to fish the Topoc Marsh, the oxbow lakes around Blythe and Mittry Lake, all located in Arizona.
    The Colorado River district is one of the few places in California that you are allowed to use sunfish for bait along with tilapia and carp.
    Do not use any live bait (even shiners) in any California lake or waterway without checking DFG regulations first. You won't believe how large the fines are.
    I would like to see flatheads introduced into the Delta river system but that would be something the DFG would have to approve. Sure would be better than those white catfish.

11. Moonlightn

Moonlightn New Member

State:
    California
    Thanks for the info Tom! Do you know why they was introduced in the first place?

12. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    As far as I know it was to improve the fishery.
    Same as with the earlier introduction of Channel catfish.

13. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    Yessirr... He hit it. I live in Blythe and don't know too much about your armpit area. However I do know that the state record came from right here in Blythe. I get alot of action from the flats still however the river is dropping and will be pretty much empty soon and I'm a big chickenbutt when it comes to the cold so I havn't been doing much. Yes the DFG regulations are a pain to read through but getting busted is much worse. Hope you can get down here and enjoy some action and I'm so sorry you moved to a flatheadless land!

14. Reb54

Reb54 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Welcome Ron

I am originally from Missouri, and have been out here for over 30 years with only opne more to go before I can retire and go back for good. The Colorado River used to be the best for Flatheads. I would go down there about 15 years ago and we would not keep anything under 20lbs. It was amazing, (nothing fights like a falthead) but then the water started being pulled towards Phoenix and is died down. I am sure there is place to still catch them there but I haven't a clue anymore. I was getting home sick for some good cat fishing and found this site. If anyone has placeS here in CA that are good for catfish I would love to know.

15. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Yep, armpits usually come in pairs, LOL!!!
    Welcome to the BOC Ron, I think you are gonna like it here!!!

16. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    hey ron(reb54)welcome to the boc, fish the colorado near blythe, been some good fishn go n on out here on the ol river, last year got 10 fish that added up to 320lbs:wink: with alot of smaller ones, picked up a 45lb this last year and a good number around 20lbs so there still here just got to get out in the 120* weather:crazy: and find em, we will be having anouther gathering out here on the river this next year so look out for the info on it, there a blast

17. Moonlightn

Moonlightn New Member

State:
    California
    "hey ron(reb54)welcome to the boc"
    Man, that confused the hell out of me!:smile2: But I get it now. Welcome Ron!!

18. curdog

curdog New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Arkansas
    Welcome to BOC Ron.

19. Reb54

Reb54 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks for the update riverbud55. I'll be watching for info on the gathering. Thanks to everyone on here, it's nice to have a place to share and tell tales:big_smile:

20. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Welcome to the BOC Ron glad you joined up ...There alot of Great people on here your going to love it here.