Greatest Super Bowl you ever saw

Discussion in 'NFL Talk' started by dreamcatcher, Jan 10, 2006.

1. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher New Member

What is the greatest Super Bowl you've ever watched and why?

My pick is pretty easy. The Denver/Green Bay matchup in 1998 had every element you could want in a Super Bowl. Two great quarterbacks, one who had never won the big game after being there on three previous occasions was the centerpiece. Denver was a double digit underdog, and the AFC had not won a Super Bowl in 15 years!!! Nobody picked Denver to win the game, but those guys showed up that day. They put new meaning to the phrase "any given Sunday." The AFC had gone so long without winning that I thought the game was rigged. LOL. Think about that for a second. 15 straight years!!! That's almost an entire regular season of football! When you look at the team Green Bay put on the field, and their history, it really elevated the hype of the game. Then to go out and actually live up to the hype was something special. A truly great game...what are some of your memories?

2. centralcalcat

centralcalcat New Member

State:
    Marion, TX
    Being a Cowboys fan the first Bill VS Boys superbowl in the early nineties is one of my favorites, Cowboys blew them out of the stadium.

3. LilRyjoe04

LilRyjoe04 New Member

State:
    Indianapolis,Indiana
    I'm with you on that Super Bowl Vic!! Super Bowl 32! The heavily favored Green Bay Packers were defeated by the Denver Broncos 31-24! They became the first AFC team to win the Super Bowl in 15 years! Terrell Davis ran for about a buck fifty and three rushing touchdowns and received the MVP award and rightly so for setting a Super Bowl record with three rushing touchdowns! If I remember correctly didn't Boys 2 Men and the Temptations play at half-time? That was a great Super Bowl, the best one I remember seeing! I am young so I can't really remember any Super Bowls from 1995 and back.

4. The J-Man!

The J-Man! New Member

State:
    St.Paul, MN
    I must say the greatest Super Bowl I ever watched was the Patriots first Super Bowl victory, the game against the Rams. The Rams were supposed to destroy the Pats, but Brady and co. (led by Belichick's great game plan) held them off and put together the winning field goal drive as time expired. Truly a great game with a fantastic ending!

5. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    for me it's the patriots first in 2002. it was after 9-11, and emotions were still running high from the trade towers. they introduced the ram players individually. when they strted to introduce the patriots, they said we are a team, not individuals. that is just the way i see it too. it seemed very patriotic among all the clamor. they refused to be introduced individually, and then went and beat a heavily favored rams team.

6. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    that is the greatest game ever, jim. fly air coryell with your pilot dan fouts. 3 overtimes. woodstrock. it was 24 to zip chargers after the first quarter. david woodley and don strock alternated for the dolphins. winslow was carried off the field 3 times on a stretcher.

if that charger team had a D they would have easily won the superbowl. what an offense they had.

7. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    I'm with Vic on this one. Denver/Green Bay. I like Green Bay cause of brett F.
    But,that S.B. I was hoping Denver/Elway got the ring. I thought that was a great game. Got it on tape.

I also enjoyed all the cowboys wins.

8. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    Any Super Bowl that included the "Raiders"! - But I really Like the one vs. Washington! Not that I don't like Washington, but I just liked the way the Raiders team played in that year.

Bert

9. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    My favorite one is where my Clevelnad Browns won...But I do think I was dreaming!

10. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    did someone say CLOWNS?

11. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    I'm with Timotha but it isnt the greatest SB I ever watched.I was a huge (and still am) Colts fan and if I remember right the Colts pasted the Browns 32-0 in a playoff game on the way to that SB.The reason I say it isn't the greatest SB I've watched is because I had to listen to it in a bunker in Vietnam under rocket attack at 2am.The game had just started and we were all listening when the first rocket came in.So away we went to our bunker but someone had the presence of mind to grab the portable radio on the way.Probem was we couldn't get reception in the bunker so someone had to hold the radio out the bunker door with rockets and mortars going off all around.I won't disclose how the lucky person was chosen but rank DOES have its priviledges.We could'nt hear to well with the explosions going off and the commander on the tactical radio wanting sitreps and trying to direct a flare ship overhead while waiting for the ground attack etc etc.For some reason there wasn't any ground attack follow up to the barrage which lasted about an hour.NVA were probably all Jets fans and were to busy hooting and hollering over the big upset.I know one thing for sure I was so mad the Colts lost I was PRAYING someone would attack us!!!!!I would have been able to handle anything up to Battalion size by myself because I was so pissed.To make matters worse about ten days later I get a letter from home with pictures of my newborn son and he is holding a sign with the score of the game on it.WOW that day I could have handled a brigade!!!The eternal lasting image I get whenever I see Joe Willie running off the field waving his finger is of the sand running down my back from the sandbags in the bunker roof,and one fool holding the radio out the door as rockets are exploding.Funny the Colts figured in the biggest SB upset ever and are also remembered for the Greatest game ever played against the Giants for the NFL championship in 58-59.

12. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher New Member

Jim, that's quite an experience, and it reflects how the Super Bowl impacted our society even in those days. That's one game I wish I could have seen. I probably did see it, but wasn't old enough to decipher the details. That was a critical game for the old AFL, and the Jets pulled it out in a major upset. I think that game sent the message that the game is won on the field, and not in the papers. Today many athletes are always trying to throw out some form of guarantee when they are evenly matched with an opponent, but Joe Willie did it when no one gave the Jets a prayer of winning. I think that game still ranks as the greatest upset. Anybody know what the line was on the game?