great white buffalo fishermen

Discussion in 'ALL OTHER FISH' started by slikk03, Jan 5, 2010.

1. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    yea been getting theese bad boys wen flathead fishing, very good tasting fish, had a guy come talk bs to me he called us the great white buffalow fishermen, but i thought it was funny, dont get the great white part?? heres a pic of one

Attached Files:

2. carolinakid76

carolinakid76 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    :Happy:good bait!

3. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    no their better than catfish if you want to clean them , i pulled out a tone of em

4. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I hate those slimy things Jake!LOL

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2010
  5. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    no theese are not carp these are the top fish sold in river cafas all along the missisipie, their bigmouthsm, dont confuse these with carp, yea they look simaler, but i asshure you they taste better than walliey if you know how to do it

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2010
  6. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    lol, but yea i was fishing for flats and lost both of em, but theese good fish were on right and left, gave em to my freinds ,their from vietnam, they no how to make em taste like crappie

7. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    come on guys give them buffalow some credit, theys aint carp carp are nasty things, buffalow are the best thing after catfish

8. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    They aren't mud suckin carp. they look simular but don't have whiskers. I've fleeced a gillion of them. Use to set trammel nets in the winter around tree tops and stick a 22 in the water and shoot it. They'll bed up around tops in the winter. Have caught and sold god knows how many. I love buffalo ribs.

9. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    every fish has its place and if you like fishing for them, then you should. i like catching fish, so i catch everything i can anyway i can. i CPR everything for the most part, so the eating them part is nothing to me. however if you like eating them, have at it. some people eat the beef some people eat mountain oysters. me i prefer just the beef. :winky:

10. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    lol, i just dont know why people throw buffs up on the bank, them are top qwality fish unlike them carp, or drum or gar lol, most people dont get the great white buffalow, they get the smallmouthbuffalow, also white sucker meat is very good, but any form of carp is a trash fish, i dont fish for em at all, i land asians for bait and commen carp for bait, i hate asian carp, i could care less about commen carp their ok they cut down on scum

11. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Thats a nice fish.

12. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    they were not hitting today, only got 1 ten pounder nothing special,lol, no catfish at all

13. Longjohn119

Longjohn119 Well-Known Member

State:
    Iowa
    Those are really tasty smoked properly. I don't catch a lot of them, but usually keep a couple a season and smoke them.

I don't throw any fish on shore, if the law says they need to be destroyed I knife them with my big survival knife and pop the air bladder so they'll sink to the bottom. The turtles gotta eat too

14. catdaddy007

catdaddy007 Member

State:
    SE Arkansas

Theres an old western movie with Charles Bronson and Slim Pickins called the ' The Great White Buffalo '. A very good movie worth renting. He was probably just joking around. I had a friend that helped these guys dig worms all afternoon to fish with the next day. Well the next day came and they didn't pick him up, but they did go fishing. We would call him the' King Fisher'. Man, that would burn him up. We were just kidding around.

15. Roadblock

Roadblock New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I started catching buffalo in decent sizes last year in the Ohio RIver near Maysville. I had never eaten any of them, I had always assumed they were just carp. My next door neighbor was with me once and saw me lose one trying to lift it out of the water, over a 4' rail without a dip net. Naturally it broke my line. (I'm guessing it was about 4 lb, using 12 lb mono). I lost another one the same way before I started bringing my old dip net with me) I wasn't concernced since it was just an "ol' carp." He told me that buffalo were really good tasting fish if cleaned properly. I went home that night and did a little googling, only to find they weren't really carp at all. Their correct name is "Smallmouth Buffalo," more sucker than carp though they resemble the common carp. (picture here)

When the cats slowed biting in the fall, I started catching some decent sized buffalo, the biggest one weighing in at 8 lb. It broke my dip net, due to the fact I didn't bring it out of the water properly. (a difficult task, since I was by myself and was lifting it out of the water over that 4' steel rail and the dip net was ancient) I started taking them to my buddy who loved them. They are a decent fighting fish and very fun to catch, and he loves to eat them.

Once word of caution though. They are indeed slimy, you'll need to air your net out. I only have a car, no truck, and that smell gets nasty. I had to start putting an old plastic table cloth in my trunk for transporting them. My net stays out of my car now until HAVE to put it back. Otherwise, my wife is all over my case. (lol)

Last edited: Feb 17, 2010
  16. SHOWME

SHOWME Well-Known Member

State:
    Nixa, Mo
    John--would you tell me about what you just said--I ain't never heard no CHITTT like that b4-- didn't know you could do stuff like that and catch fish