Great weekend on the Neosho

Discussion in 'KANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by tmramrod91, Aug 11, 2008.

1. tmramrod91

tmramrod91 New Member

State:
    kansas
    Steve and I headed there this weekend and did real well. In total probably 25 fish, only 6 or so were under 5 lbs. Most between 8-12. All channels except for 3 dinky flats and a 7 lb flat. Go figure the small ones we get are flatties (the ones we were goin after).
    Steve got a 15 lber (new PB) and I got 2 12 lbers (PB as well). Lost a couple of hogs due to get snagged up.
    All caught on fresh shad, gills (most all) and a few on goldfish.
    Steve should post some pics soon. Wait till you see the pic of the dangerous encounter we had with the debris on that river after all the rain on Saturday. We are now very aware why theres a mile long snag. :big_smile:

2. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Im glad that it finally happened for you Steve. You have put your time in and it has payed off. Nothing beats being in the right place at the right time. They are finally off of the spawn here, I have been catchin them with scars. Its hammer time.:cool2::smile2: Lookin forward to seein the pics. You should call in sick sometime this week and we can go hit the Walnut.:wink:

3. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    Oh yeah, congrats to you too Kevin!

4. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    Looks like Kevin beat me to the trigger. Thanks Kyle, we had 3 consecutive great nights of fishing... probably the best rod'n'reel fishing I've ever had, and riverside west at John redmond is excellent camping. We actually had one line out, but most of our fish were caught on rod'n'reel. I think we got 6 or 9 on our line. I gotta say though, I think Kevin underestimated our numbers a little. I bet we caught closer to between 30-40. We kept the three smallest off our lines for the freezer, but I gotta tell ya the smallest were still on the big size for me to keep, fishing was that good. Like Kevin said we got alot of rain on Saturday morning and the river swelled up and started moving FAST with a ton of debris. Whole trees and all that. It was pretty dangerous to be out there but we had to try and retrieve our line (even though the water was so high we couldn't get it). We didn't realize just how dangerous it was until we got the boat on the trailer and we were tightening it down. We heard one huge tree crash into the water not 50 yards upstream from the ramp and watched it float down, then another right after that. Boy we were glad to have taken out when we did... 5 minutes later and who knows what would have happened. Okay, I'll quit talkin about the trip cause I could go on and on... I'll start working on those picutres.

5. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    Okay, here come the pictures. I'll start with a part of "The Snag" and those trees Kevin was talking about. No wonder its a humongous snag.

Attached Files:

6. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    Here's another few pictures of the river on Saturday afternoon after a ton of rain.

Attached Files:

7. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    Here are a few pictures of both of our new personal bests. Also a picture of the fish we caught for our first double header. As you can see I'm holding the fish.... well someone had to take the picture. My boat, my rules:smile2:.

Attached Files:

8. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    Here's a couple pictures of the some of the flatheads we caught. The first one is Kevin's favorite picture:smile2:.

Attached Files:

9. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Sounds like a real nice weekend, congrats and good luck in the future

10. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    Congrats Kevin And Steve, On A Great Night Fishing:big_smile: Congrats On Your Guys New PB's Thanks For Sharing The Pics And The Story:smile2:.

11. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Nice cats. Congrats on the new PB's. Those are some good looking channels. :big_smile:

12. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Nice fish Steve & Kevin & congrats on your PB.

Sound like you had a great trip.

13. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    thanks for the pictures and sounds like a great trip

14. delbert bumbleshoot

delbert bumbleshoot New Member

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    Good job guys.Where were you on the Neosho? My inlaws live in Iola but I've never fished in the river there.Kinda new to river fishing earlier this year we were out on the Missouri and a refrigerator and a nitrogen tank came floating by. Defintiely a little intimidating if you haven't experienced it before.

15. tmramrod91

tmramrod91 New Member

State:
    kansas
    We were fishin it near John Redmond.
    Hindsight says getting on the river after all that rain was a pretty bad idea, but it was an experience for sure. I've never seen so much debris floating down a river. 5 and 6 ft logs flowing pretty fast. We were fotunate to not have any major issues.

16. tmramrod91

tmramrod91 New Member

State:
    kansas
    Steve also failed to mention he about lost a rod to a catfish :big_smile:
    The rod holder wasnt tight enough apparently, and a big ol cat just took off, the rod bent over and the tip was in the water about to go and he picked it up just in time. Got the fish close to the boat and it was a biggun. Then it took him under the boat and around a log...so all we got to see was one big splash. :sad2:

17. kat king

kat king New Member

State:
    hutchinson,ks
    congrats to the both of you guys on the new pbs and some good fishing..

18. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    Yeah, I forgot about all that. I have driftmasters with rail mounts that I mounted on galvanized piping. This fish took that rod holder from straight up and twisted it around the pie probably 45 degrees. It wasn't real loose either. The wingnut was as tight as I could get it with my fingers (after that happened i made sure to use my pliers). He actually broke water when he was getting closer to the boat right before he took off under the boat. I had to let him do it so I stuck my rod tip under water so he couldn't rub the line on the boat. Thats when he got me wrapped up on the log. Man I was upset, cause my goal for this year has been to catch a 20 pounder on RnR. There is no doubt in my mind, or Kevin's I don't think that it would have gone 20. I got to see enough of it to see the size of the body, but not enough to know what kind of catfish it was. It was dark and it was only for a split second.

19. kmcalester

kmcalester Active Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Look like you Fella's had a darn good night out.

20. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    Looks like some new avatars are in the works?:wink::smile2: