Great tips for fishing stocked trout pond

Discussion in 'Trout Fishing' started by bamaboy24, Oct 10, 2005.

1. bamaboy24

bamaboy24 New Member

State:
    Huntsville,Al
    me and my cousin have never trout fished before and we plan on trying it this winter at this local lake which has a trout pond seperated from the rest of the lake. This pond is about an acre with a couple of outlets. I would realy appreciate it if you could give me some tips.

2. delawareriver

delawareriver Member

State:
    bath pa
    take a small peice of bread, role it into a ball then sqeeze it into a quarter sized flat disc, hook it with a small hook and cast it near the out let. no weight if dont need it and let it sink to the bottom, as it hits the bottom reel in and do it again, this always worked for me.

3. centralcalcat

centralcalcat New Member

State:
    Marion, TX
    use small lures aka panther martins, power bait with a light wieght, nightcrawlers, salmon eggs, flies,

use a variety of baots and figure out what they want, oncce you know that, you should slay em'

-brian

4. catwacker

catwacker New Member

State:
    illinois
    there are several stocked ponds and lakes in my area. we have the best luck with canned corn and minature marshmellows. those cold water trout are some fine eating, and a darn good fight for their size ( 12 to 15 inches ) try a slip bobber and a pink marshmellow, find the right depth and you can really slay them.. 6 is the limit around here, but they are just fun as heck to catch, good luck!!!!!

5. Mr.wiskers592

Mr.wiskers592 New Member

I,I. Panthar martins always work for me, i thing every one i caught was on ethier a worm, or a panthar martin. The best one to use would be the gold spinner any size. Hope that works :D

6. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    ultralight rig.....4 or 6 lb line

7. Perch Guy

Perch Guy New Member

4-6lb Line is ideal Also if your you want a few more fish brought in and it's really clear lake i'm assuming try Fluro-carbon line Perferably Vanish or vanish transition it does make a differance. With a size 8-10 hook and you can throw on a small black fly with a maggot, plain gold shank hook with corn,marshmellow,worm,waxworm will work fine. when the bite is agressive nothing like a small kast master or sweish pimple thrown out and reeled in on a fast pase.

good luck out there !!

Want to hear about your success

George

<((><

8. flannelman

flannelman New Member

i like to use rooster tails. i have caught most of my trout with them in the short time ive fished with them. i think the best color to use is yellow. theres something about it that the trout just love.

9. ohiohawghunter45067

ohiohawghunter45067 New Member

State:
    Trenton, Ohio
    early morning best time here in ohio i use power bait chartruese color with bass minnows also marshmellow and corn with minnows. afternoon they tend to die down on live bait and powerbait then i throw a small roostertail and use my fly rod with popper and small bobber and those two are very affective

10. NJ_Fishin_Fool

NJ_Fishin_Fool New Member

I like using yellow and black rooster tails, it resembles a bee. Trout key in on them.

11. Ol Whiskers

Ol Whiskers New Member

State:
    Fairfield Township, Ohio
    Take your UL with 4 or 6 lb Vanish, very small slip bobber ( I use the float beads from a walleye rig - you can get them from Netcraft or Stamina) and oneof the rubber slip stoppers. Tie on a 1/32-oz yellow, white, or black marabou jig and set the bobber to about 2-ft to start. Pitch it out, preferably at some structure or right up against a wall or dropoff, and let it rest a half-minute or so. Then, jig it back with very light twitches of the rod tip, just enought so you see the bobber bouncing a bit. If you don't get at 2-ft depth, add or subtract and change colors too. Pretty much the same as for fishing bluegills and such, but a lot of fun when the bobber takes under and you come up with a nice rainbow. Also have had good trout success using live minnows this way.

12. asukevin

asukevin New Member

State:
    Tempe, AZ
    mealworms, baby, mealworms!! ive been using mealworms on a size 12 hook about 2 1/2 feet under a bobber with 2 split shot in between the hook and the bobber and have been catching alot of trout. i like the mealworms because you dont need to keep them cool or anything like you do with nightcrawlers. and i dont know if it is different for anyone else, but i rarely get bluegills biting my line with the mealies as well, only caught a few.

13. LilRyjoe04

LilRyjoe04 New Member

State:
    Indianapolis,Indiana
    I just found out about a week ago that a guy who lives on our 2 acre lake has put about 500 rainbow trout in it! That's pretty cool and I might have to start fishin for these suckers! I don't know of anywhere else in Indiana having trout. I have never fished for them before. Are they fun to fish for? How big do they get and do they put up a good fight? Looking forward to them! :)

14. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Lilryjoe04 catching trout is fun and yes they can put up a good fight. Try using ultra lite gear. The record hear in TN. is a little over 16lbs and for a trout that is big. When I did fish for them I used small rooster tails and plain old out of the can corn. Caught alot that way. We would fish on bottom and suspended from the bottom by a bobber. And it was a stocked pond we fished mainly.

15. LilRyjoe04

LilRyjoe04 New Member

State:
    Indianapolis,Indiana
    Thanks for the tip Mark! I'll have to try that, but not until the ice thaws on our lake. I am looking forward to catching a new type of fish. Have a good Christmas! :)

16. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    You can also try using a flyrod with a good selection of flies.

17. LilRyjoe04

LilRyjoe04 New Member

State:
    Indianapolis,Indiana
    Allright, I give that a try too. Take it easy man!

18. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    Lilryjoe04: Rainbow trout can grow up to 40" long and up to 50 pounds, but they prolly won't get that big in your pond. They're fun to catch on ultra-lite equipment, using flies, lures, and many kinds of bait. You can catch them thru the ice on tiny jigs, with or without grubs or mealworms. Regardless of how cold it gets, they still gotta eat!

19. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    those hatchery trout arent very picky fish. ive caught them and investigated their stomachs to find sticks, cigarette butts, bobbers all kind of stuff.they can be picky at times though. try small spinners, berkley power bait (make into a small doughball on a small trebble), wax worms, and nightcrawlers...they love nightcrawlers!

20. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    I fished for them when I lived in California. I had the best luck using; Balls of Fire; Salmon eggs. Good luck