Great Tip, Read it in an OL magazine

Discussion in 'Crappie Fishing' started by TX Fisherman, May 11, 2007.

1. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    i was reading my Outdoor Life magazine the other day when i came across a tip that seemed perfect so here it is-

take a red balloon with you on your next trip, after you catch your first crappie that trip tie the red balloon with 5-8 feet of mono line and tie it took the hook hole in his mouth, that way you can follow the school all day.. Just make sure to remove the balloon before you head home!

-Good Luck

-Kevin

2. Gibbzilla

Gibbzilla New Member

State:
    East Texas
    Yeah I've heard and actually done this a couple times before. I hate havin ta track em down to remove the balloon though.

3. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    I have seen that done but it is illeagal to do that in IN I was told.
    Bill

4. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    That's a good idea, Kevin. A couple of generations have never heard of that. We used to do that with white bass back in the early 50s. Still works. Still a good idea. Just check your regs to make sure it's legal where you're fishing.

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Been there and done that. It works. It use to be a secret now it is out. Who Told?:lol: :smile2:

6. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Read that somewhere once. Sounds solid!

FYI....if any of you guys go Dolphin (Mahi Mahi) fishing offshore, catch the first one and tie it to the back of the boat. The rest of the school will follow him as you troll! Again, verify the legality of it before you do it though.

7. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Another oldtimers tip: When you're crappie fishing, and the bite drops off, grab a couple of keepers from your livewell and scale them over the side. The scales drifting down through the school will often turn them back on...as will switching from jig to minnow, or vice versa.

8. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    Why do the scales from the other crappie turn the bite back on?