Great tip for keeping bait fresh !!!

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Katmaster Jr., Nov 27, 2005.

1. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    This is a right clever little thing I made up. It makes a big difference for keeping your bait fresh. What you do is get a plastic ice cream container
    (as shown in pic 1 below) and take a knife or something and poke alot of small holes in it. The holes should NOT be bigger than a quarter inch.
    Also when you put bait in the coantainer make sure you put the lid on good. And dont put too many shad or baitfish in one container. Get more than one conatainer and balance out your bait amongst the different containers. If you put too many baitfish in one container they will sort of crush each other and they will get kinda soft on you. Which is bad. This may not sound like the best idea to some people, but trust me it helps ALOT, IF YOU DO IT RIGHT.

See what the container does is, instead of water getting on your bait, the water will go threw the holes on the container and sink to the bottom of the cooler. Which brings me to my next tip when doing it. Dont put the conatainers in the bottom of your cooler. Because thats where the water ends up. And make sure that you drain the water out of your cooler at least once a day.

This tip works best for "smaller bait" (like shown in pic 2 down below) which are about 3-6 inches. But you can use it for any kind of bait and it will help.

Try it out, it makes a difference!!!

Good "cattin" to ya! :)

2. jholl949

jholl949 New Member

State:
    Mannford. Oklah
    I'm assuming here that "fresh" doesn't necessarily mean "alive".
    If you're trying to keep shad alive, please keep them in water!! LOL
    Good tip, just messing with ya!

3. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    LOL, yeah I dont mean that fresh.....LOL.

good luck :)

4. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    For those wanting to keep large shad or skipjack alive, it seems that saltwater 'tuna tubes' or 'bonito tubes' would work very well, and could easily be homemade. Basically, they're simply a piece of pvc pipe with plumbing to run lots of water through whenever there's a fish inside. Here's a link:
    http://www.livebaitlarry.com/tuna_tubes.asp
    If the link has to be removed, simply do a search for: tuna bonito tubes