Great time on the Potomac, Gunston Cove.

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by cyrusthegreat, Sep 13, 2008.

1. cyrusthegreat

cyrusthegreat New Member

State:
    virginia
    I'm relatively new at fishing in the Northern Virginia area, but last night was probably the best time I've had so far. I've been fishing on the James a few times, and of course caught a few monsters, but last night was the first time we (my fishing buddy and I) hooked a 50+ blue. Our scale went to 50 pounds, but the fish topped out the scale.

It started out relatively slow after we got out on the water at about 7pm. We didn't catch anything until after midnight. Gradually the fish got bigger, going from a few 1-2 pound catfish, to a few 4-5 pounders. Later in the night, I hooked into a 10 pounder and thought that would round out the night as relatively successful. About an hour later I hooked a 22 pounder and was totally satisfied. But then my buddy hooked into something big. I thought he was kidding at first, but when I saw the fish pulled along side my 14.5 foot boat, I became a believer in the saying "we're going to need a bigger boat."

The net we had was good size, being able to handle the 22# I caught, but this one was simply too big. The handle broke and the fish could not fit in the net. I stuck my hand in the fish's mouth and barely got him in the boat. We tried to weigh him on the 50 pound scale but he topped it out.

Wow. I had a great time. Is there anyone else out there that fishes this area? I'm curious as to how the fishing usually is, since the James is the big cat hot spot in VA.

2. freshbaitrules

freshbaitrules New Member

State:
    virginia
    Congratulations guys, hope you got some pics. if so post em'.

Thats the kind of night I'm looking for. Way to go.

3. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy Active Member

State:
    Virginia
    Big fish all over our wonderful Tidal Rivers. Congratulations on lipping a big one. A true Trophy in any water!!! I bet you still have some chew marks on your hand to remember it by. :smile2:

4. F250SD-Baby!!

F250SD-Baby!! New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I've heard my husband say we need a bigger boat too! and ours is like 16 ft.
    He's gotten a big guy like that, I'm still waiting for my turn!:wink:
    anyway, congrats on a good night fishin'!

5. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    The Potomac is a hot river. I'd give it a try if it weren't so far away.

Hooking big fish make you rethink everything. You mentioned bigger boat and bigger net. Also might need, bigger rods, bigger reels, bigger line, bigger scale. It's addicting!

6. Bomberman

Bomberman New Member

State:
    Spring Run, PA
    I fish the Potomac all the time, including around Gunston/Mt. Vernon area. Some great fishing there for sure. Congrats on the catch...there are some real monsters living in that stretch of water.

I now carry a small gaff to help land the ones that don't fit in the net. I just hook them inside the mouth and pull them out for pictures and then release.

Tight lines.