Great Salt Plains Lake

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by catman george, Aug 29, 2006.

1. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    The recent rains in North West Oklahoma have raised Great Salt Plains Lake enough to end the fish kill. It will take probably 5 years or more to produce enough fish to replace the numbers and size of the ones that were lost. Additional fall rains should raise the lake enough to start filling the weirs and allow the river to flow again towards the Arkansas River. The Salt Fork will quickly restock itself once a steady flow enters the Arkansas.

catman george

2. Bill D Curtis

Bill D Curtis New Member

State:
    Blackwell Oklahoma
    Glad to hear the good news I live in Blackwell and the Chikaskia which dumps in to the Salt Fork above the Arkansas has been up several times in the last month:big_smile:

3. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Salt Plains Lake level is almost ready to overflow and start filling the weirs. I have been told that the river is stil flowing into the lake so it will not be long before the SFR will be flowing too.

catman george

4. porboy

porboy New Member

State:
    TX Panhand
    Gosh, I was not aware that the fish were dying. How bad was it?
    Bill

5. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Glad the rains have come,very sad to hear of the fish kill due to dry weather.Hope aii is returned to normal soon-----------pk powell:big_smile:

6. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I have been told that possibly 1/3 to 1/2 of the fish died during the hot weather. The spillway should be running over by now. Lots of shad are being seen flipping but the fishing reports are not good. It will take several years to replenish the fish population.
    catman george

7. capt theory

capt theory New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    :sad2: there were a ridiculous amount of huge flatheads killed there. i want to say one was reported in the 90 pound range up on the bank dead.

8. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Capt- You are correct there were a lot flatheads that died in the stilling basin. The basin was loaded with flatheads which had migrated up stream and stayed in the basin. An ODWC biologist that oversees the lake said there were several flat heads in the 80 pound range that died. It made him sick to see all the dead fish and there was NOTHING he could do about it. He was helpless. I know he drove over the bridge below the dam one day and stopped,walked out into the river and picked up 3 flatties in the 50 pound range. He took them home and butchered them. He said there were many other stranded fish beside the 3 flatheads he picked up.

My friend should be back from elk hunting this weekend and I will have a fishing report soon on the lake.

catman george