great rod for the money

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by yellowlabman45, Jan 2, 2008.

1. yellowlabman45

yellowlabman45 New Member

State:
    arkansas
    my brother got me to try the berkly big game rods I like them there great for the price he has caught 51# flathead and numerous cats in the 30 and 40 pound range never had a problem.

2. catfishbills

catfishbills New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I like the way they feel, but havent actually used one. Best of luck with yours!:wink:

3. jombieman

jombieman New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Just let you I had one of those rods. Broke it the first time I used at the base by the handle while fishing on the Missouri River. For the same money Shakespere makes a Tiger fishing combo. Just put your reel on it. They are pretty stout rods own a couple of them with tidewaters. Or buy an Uglycat rod for a little more. Keep on a cattin' JD

4. rspd507

rspd507 New Member

State:
    Rising Sun,IN
    Scott,
    Welcome to the BOC. I will have to agree with you about those rods. I have couple myself and they have yet to let me down. The only thing about them I dont like is if your fishing heavy current, using alot of weight, they are hard to cast due to not handling the weight that well. But overall, they are a good rod for the price in my opinion. rspd507

5. catfishing is fun

catfishing is fun New Member

State:
    Missouri/Michigan
    I have seen these rods alot, they seem really nice, and have the same ratings as the Ugly cat, and are a bit cheaper, but I have yet to try one because as far as rods go I am a faithful follower of Ugly Stick Big Water, and Penn surf rods... but those big games do feel like a good investment

6. catfishing is fun

catfishing is fun New Member

State:
    Missouri/Michigan
    oh yeah, I forgot to ask, are those rods an E-glass blank like the Ugly Cat?

7. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    They good rods for the money, I have two and I love my.

8. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    They're great rods for the money. I have 3 now and I'll probably upgrade them b/c in the river sometimes you need more than 3oz of weight which is getting close to what they can handle. I've caught a 50lb class flathead on mine and a bunch from 10-30lbs on it and they handle great. If all you're doing is fishing a lake they should be fine for almost anyone's needs.

9. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Had one a little while back. Does the rod you have got metal eyelets? Did have mine break at the handle.

10. bigtater

bigtater New Member

State:
    louisiana
    i had a 7footer and loved it passed it on to a friend of mine and hes usin it. for 20 bucks what more could ya ask for

11. CAPTAIN JACK

CAPTAIN JACK New Member

State:
    MISSOURI
    If you're looking for a good rod you need to try Surge Rods. I use them alot on all the major rivers and cought many large fish on these rods biggest being 85lb Blue on Missouri River last year. They are 7'10" in medium heavy and Heavy action. You can't go wrong

12. newtothegame2

newtothegame2 New Member

State:
    hudson wisconsin
    about how much do they run$$$ and i need it for about 20lb fish? do they make em'

13. nicdicarlo

nicdicarlo New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, Pennsylvani
    I believe the Surge rods, at least the ones I have seen, are in the $60-70 range. I'm not sure if they have any other models.

Does anyone have a link to a place where they sell the Berkley Big Game rods? I've never seen, or heard of, them. Thanks.

14. DJH1

DJH1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Wal Mart's the easiest place to find em. Around here they're $20 a pop.