Great Pee Dee 5/9 '09

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by Bill in SC, May 9, 2009.

1. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Chris called me at 6:30 am or so, but it was actually around 10 or 11 when we got to the river at Blues. We went downstream 9 miles and quickly caught bream in a small eddy. Most any small eddy you find on the river holds bream, and they are easy to catch. We caught about a dozen right quick, and catfish fever hit and we decided to go ahead and they them with what we had, and catch some more bait later. Good decision. I found lots of big fish symbols in just the right places. Every setup we caught fish. The first fish was a big BLACK blue at 10 pounds. From then on it was flathead frenzy. The flatheads were on FIRE, and we quickly caught three or four in the 7 to 10 pound range. Man, they did a heap of nibbling before they would finally take the bait. We fished excluusively with bream heads. Rarely get a bite on any other bream part other than a head. Fished a few live ones with no hits on them. Mind you, the weather conditions were not steller. It was hot, very few clouds, middle of the day, and the river falling. Just goes to show that you don't plan trips aroud "Just Right" conditions. When they are hungry they wil bite. All was going well until our first nutroll of the day. (See the Gateway club in the tournament talk section to get the nutroll definition) Well, we hung up and LOST my first anchor in 1 1/2 years, an nice danforth. Sooo, off back to the house to get another anchor, more fuel. Probably lost an hour and a half. Our next mistake was letting the girls meet us at the landing to "boat ride" while we fished. Well, the fish were still on fire and we caught several more flatties, another blue and a channel. All total, about 60 pounds of fish. No hawgs today, but the flatties are now in the prowl. Had we not had to take the bored women back to the boat ramp, I think tonight we could have worked on 'em. I'll be right back at them as soon as I can muster up some more fuel money!!! (I do still ahve 2 full tanks.) :) We covered 40 miles today, running up and down the river. It's so nice to locate fish on the finder, set up and throw it in their mouths and pull 'em in. All in all, one of the most action packed days on the river we have had in a long time, but no hawgs today. We did see an interesting site. We saw four medium pigs swim the river. Had I been two minutes earlier, we could have approached them and grabbed one by the ear, cut his throat and brung him aboard. By the time we saw them, they were only about 20 feet from the bank, and they quickly scrambled out. Didn't get close enough for a pic of them either. I think I will add to out 'Team Hardcore' name, Southern Nutroll Chapter. :wink: Here are a few pics of our day:

Bill in SC

Attached Files:

2. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Great day on the river, Bill! Thanks for the post. I think I'm going to try it tomorrow. Wife says the best Mom's day for her is for me to go catch some fish while she cooks dinner. I can't argue with that kind of logic. :wink:

3. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    more pics

Attached Files:

4. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    two more

Attached Files:

5. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    Thanks for the report Bill!:wink: Glad ya'll had a Catsmacking good time!

6. Blake Wright

Blake Wright New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Bill looks like the top came in good again! Don't worry about the gas in another week or so. Just find me a place to rent for a few months up there.

7. flatheadsalyer1

flatheadsalyer1 New Member

State:
    Pickens, SC
    Great job Bill. Glad you guys got on em. The boat is looking good!!

Steve

8. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Great job I hope them flatties are still biting good on thursday. We gunna try it Little Pee Dee style. Im gunna let Team Skintback show me how its done on the LPD and I cant wait.

9. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I can hardy wait for a full report on the Little Pee Dee. Who knows, if the fishin' is good there, maybe one day we can schedule a tourney there.

BB in SC

10. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Just don't catch'em all before I get down there! I've got one foot out of the door now!

11. racinrodes88

racinrodes88 New Member

State:
    Marion, SC
    ok james if its thursday the only thing we can show u is how to weld on an ambulance.The last 2 times i went i didnt catch anything hope u do better.My luck is on big pd not little

12. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Russel if there are catfish well find them.:wink:

13. racinrodes88

racinrodes88 New Member

State:
    Marion, SC
    james im ready get off at 3:30 u r the man with the plan

14. deerhntr22

deerhntr22 New Member

State:
    Greenville, SC
    Great report...now I just need my wife to come to the same logic...:big_smile: