Great Pee Dee 3 11 '09

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by Bill in SC, Mar 11, 2009.

1. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Me, peglegreb and his girlfriend put in at Blue's about lunch time today. Went downstream to check the spots I had marked with fish day before yesterday. Needless to say, there were few fish to be marked today! :sad2: We had 4 eels and one live bream. We cut a large eel up and fished cut and live eels at the first drop. NO bites. Second drop I decided to cut the bream up. The bream head hadn't been in the water more than 60 seconds when the rod bent over and I landed a 10 pound blue. Well, we couldn't catch any bream. Tried but they wouldn't bite. Couldn't buy a bite on the eel. I don't think I will ever buy any more eels, unless there is absolutely no more bait available. I've just never had much luck with them. A guy gave us a gizzard shad and an American shad from his net. We finished the day with the gizzard shad, but NO more bites. Water temp was 53 degrees. As we were easing back up river, my boat rode up on a snag pretty hard. When it came loose, I jokingly said that I hoped it didn't knock a hole in the boat, and we would know it before long. Didn't think any more about it. When we loaded the boat on the trailer and I pulled the plug, I guess 50 or 60 gallons came out of it. Apparently when the boat slid off the snag, it damaged the area where the bottom of the boat and the bottom of the transom come together. It just chipped out a small piece, but it was enough to let water come in. I will fix it as soon as it dries good. A fiberglass boat, especially OLD, brittle fiberglass, is certainly not the best option for hull material in the Great Pee Dee, but that's what I have and I gotta go with what I got! :smile2:

Bill in SC

2. catfish98054

catfish98054 New Member

State:
    hampstead,
    sorry about your boat ,at least it is fixable.the cats up here aren,t eating eel very well either not 4 me anyway well you got 1 anyhow better than none

3. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    <anyway well you got 1 anyhow better than none>

Yes, I'm certainly NOT complainin'. I'm satisfied that if we had gotten there early this morning when it was overcast, and had plenty of fresh bait, we would have probably worked on 'em pretty good. The fishing should be on fire, from now through spring as the shad are running pretty good.

Bill in SC

4. Robbie Norton

Robbie Norton New Member

State:
    Florence S.C
    Good job bill at lease you cauth one 10 ponder:smile2: at lease they are getting bigger:cool2: keep on fishing it will get better bill:smile2:.

5. BigBird

BigBird New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC
    The PD takes a toll on a boat. You could a told a tale of a big gnarly flathead biting a chunk out of the boat!:smile2:

6. racinrodes88

racinrodes88 New Member

State:
    Marion, SC
    yeah bill i dont have to much luck with eel i take them for backup but my best bait is bream i will be glad when the ponds warm up so i can fill the baskets up