Great Pee Dee 3 11 08

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by Bill in SC, Mar 11, 2008.

1. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Finally caught some live bait this morning at a small farm pond. Had some live bream and shiners. Put in the river at Society Hill this afternoon. Went downstream. It's still somewhat high, but falling. Water temp hovered around 54 degrees all afternoon. Had one huge fish on. Fought him for about 10 seconds and he got wrapped up on the structure.. Bummer, but this is life on the Big Pee Dee. :)
    That was the only decent bite we had. Going after more bait early in the morning and will be back on the river by late morning for the duration of the day. As always, high expectations! :)
    Bill in Bennettsville

2. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Bill, do you ever fish down toward Cashua Ferry? I've been in that area some lately; looks pretty good down there, even with the high waters. Just curious. Thanks.

3. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Bill, thanks for the report, and good luck tomorrow.

4. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    No Tommy, haven't been down that way except when passing through on an occasional trip down the river to the intra coastal waterway many years ago. Especially now with fuel prices like they are, I'm going to have to fish kinda close to home as much as possible. Have you located any sturgeon?
    BB in Bennettsville

5. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    That area looks like it would be pretty good catfishing; have only been there a few times, and with the high water, not too many folks on the river.
    The sturgeon are just beginning to move upstream a little, not a lot of activity yet, but hopefully it will pick up soon.
    Maybe I can get time to try and wet a line as soon as the water drops a little more. Thanks for the feedback.
    I did speak with a guy who was fishing a shad net, and he had a number of fish that he had caught last night, so maybe you can catch a few on the jig if you get a chance. I tried one spot the other day without success, but I plan to try some more later.

6. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Thanks for the info, Tommy. We got a shad from a netter this morning at the boat landing in SH. It produced ALL the hits we got today. We caught one about 4 pounds, and I hung another hog, but it only lasted about 4 seconds and got hung on the snags. Then, they just quit biting all day long. Very frustrating sometimes, but fun nonetheless. We had to catch bait this morning and got to the river late, 11:00am. Some guys were coming out of the river and had as nice mess of blues, and one that was about 25 or 30 pounds. I think James is psychic. He told me in an e-mail last night that this morning was when to catch fish today. He was dead on. I'll be glad when I get my bait tank up and running so I won't have to kill so much time in the morning. I do like to be at the landing by daybreak. A friend at the scrap yard here is keeping an eye out for a large chest type freezer for me to convert to a bait tank. I figure the insulated freezer won't heat up as bad during the summer.
    Bill in Bennettsville