Great Night-Tossed out 29 Catfish jugs.

Discussion in 'LOCAL TENNESSEE TALK' started by Kittycatcher, Jul 24, 2006.

1. Kittycatcher

Kittycatcher New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Te
    Saturday 22 of July 2006 Bryan (Whistler) and I (Kitty Catcher) launch at the Steam Plant at Cumberland City Tennessee about 03:30 PM. Started out catching Blue Gills, we got about a dozen. Then we set out to catch some shad to put on the jugs, this seem to be a task, they were hard to find to start with. But we findly pull up in Rivers Bend got about 2 dozen. We set up down river from the Steam Plant at mile marker 99.8 just below the day marker at 100 at 05:30 PM. Anchor the boat and start to set out our jugs with chunks of shad on them, 29 jugs to be correct. I had make 8 jugs out of Maine Wolf Jug Maker Kits 3 5/8 jugs, this was there first time out, all I got to say is that I will be ordering more. Well we took 3 of these jugs and put live blue gills on them. The only problem with live blue gill is that you are going to chase them the most. We set these jugs up in about 20 ft of water, with lines on the jugs ranging from 5 to 10 under the jugs. we work these jugs until about 09:30 PM caught 9 catfish, ranging from 4 lbs to 11 lbs. We fish with rod and reel until 12:00 with no takers. I still say it was a great night, I am not going to strave.

2. Gringoloco

Gringoloco Member

State:
    Ft. Belvoir, VA
    Name:
    Josh
    Congrats on the catches, I have never jug fished but it sounds fun.

3. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Sounds like you had a realy fun night.

4. TNVOLCAT

TNVOLCAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Bob, I'm glad to hear you and Bryan had a good outing Sat. night. Jugging can be tough, sounds like yall's hard work paid off. I'm off of work the 28th, 29th, 30th and 31st, so I'm planning on fishing with my Dad at least one of those days. I imagine we'll jug the Lock B area again.

5. stephens

stephens New Member

State:
    clarksville tn
    glad you had some luck it sounds like most of the catfish is suspended in the water column that are the biters. where any flatheads caught?

6. rsimms

rsimms New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Thanks for detailed info... I don't fish the area but if I did, you would be a great help. Very commendable! Now tell me where I can learn more about those Maine Wolf Jug Maker kits?... nevermind, I just searched the web and found info. Looks nifty.

7. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    iv never used jugs ,been tempted but non the less havent tried them ,you say you put out 29 jugs and caught 9 cats did you get all yer jugs back ? have you ever lost a jug ? sounds like you had yer hands full with that many jugs .

8. bmaultbay

bmaultbay New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Congrats on the catch, juggin' is a blast, lot of work, but fish in the freezer.:big_smile:

9. rsimms

rsimms New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Hey Charles.... it's really not hard keeping up with lots of jugs. They tend to stay pretty well bunched up unless you get a hard wind. I typically fish 20 - 30 on Tennessee River. Even in the current they stay pretty close. I fish primarily at night and spray paint them all with flourescent paint. A Q-Beam will pick 'em up several hundred yards away. But they rarely get that far... unless a big fish takes one down and keeps it down a while. That's the most likely scenario for losing a jug is when a big fish grabs obne and goes and you lose track.

10. Kittycatcher

Kittycatcher New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Te
    I lost a 4 lbs Flathead on cut shad. We have white reflexive tape on our jugs and also with Maine Wolf Jugs you can use 8 inch glow sticks, so they are easy to keep track of. We had them spread out over a mile of water. With the glow sticks you keep track of them and only use your spot light when you see them pop-up. Juggin is a lot of work, but it is fun when you got two people to work it. We use them to fish in the freezer, and I like eating fish. In Tennessee we are aloud to have 50 jugs each. We will have that many here real soon.

11. MOOSE3.5

MOOSE3.5 New Member

State:
    Mid/West TN
    Sounds like a good night Robert. I am probably going to try some jugs this weekend on KY Lake. Is it true that to be legal you have to have your name and phone number on your jugs? Thanks in advance, I am new to jugging.

12. bmaultbay

bmaultbay New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Actually I believe it is name, address, and phone number. Juggin is a blast. But, I highly recommend you take a partner with you. It can get busy.:smile2:

13. Kittycatcher

Kittycatcher New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Te
    Brian is right, you have to have your name and address on the jugs. You can throw in the phone number if you want to so that they might call so you can get your jug back.

14. Hootowlc3

Hootowlc3 New Member

State:
    Florida
    I believe that is too much information to be floating around. I think all anyone should have to put on jugs,trot line and limb lines is there fishing license number. The game warden could get all the information they need from that.

15. akwolf41

akwolf41 Master Instigator of the BOC!

State:
    Kenai, Ala
    Robert:

Sounds like you got out and had a great time. I am glad that our Kits worked out good for ya. When this Hot water Temp goes down a little over here I am gonna give it a go here on Bull Shaols lake.

rsimms:
    You can check the kits here:

http://www.akwolf.com/MainWolf/jugmake.htm

Gene

16. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    He said it, but when we're juggin he does most of it. I don't go up front on the toon unless he calls me. I drive mostly and keep us off the banks and on the jugs if necessary. We had a blast for sure. But like he said, this is a great way to put fish in the freezer, but it doesn't hold a candle to catching fish on rod and reel for fun. Bob is the best fishing partner a person could ever have. He and I have known each other for about 25 years and only started fishing together about 3 years ago. I'm very lucky to have him for a friend and fishing partner. I don't think I've ever had a fishing partner that could keep up with my insatiable appetite for fishing. But Bob is sometimes worse! LOL I would fish everyday if I could and I believe Bob would too. It's a darn good thing some of the other friends I've made on the board don't live closer, we'd all be single and out of work!! LOL Thanks Bob for sticking with me. And don't let that DH person influence you into joining the dark side!! LOL

17. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    I'll also say this for the new jugs we're using that Gene designs and sells. If you can't see them even without a glowstick, you just can't see. LOL They are big and work extremely well. Not too many fish are gonna keep it under for very long either. That's a big piece of swim noodle on it. We had 29 jugs out, each with an 8 inch glowstick. We had about 5 of them on the opposite side of the river from where the bulk of them were. And you could see them all from either side. The glowsticks he sells are the best I've seen. I've ordered from ebay a few times and have been disappointed with all I've gotten. The ones he sells are really bright and last a long time. And the price is right too. Best I've found anyway.

18. bigcatch87

bigcatch87 New Member

State:
    louisianna
    glad to see somebody catching something

19. bmaultbay

bmaultbay New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    I agree totally with the glow sticks. Aftercats and I have tossed out jugs with them, you can see them from a long distance.

20. Kittycatcher

Kittycatcher New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Te
    Bryan you know that I fill the same our friendship, DH can't brake that up.