Great night on the ohio

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY RIVERS TALK' started by Flootie16, Aug 18, 2009.

1. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Went out last night with the ole man for a few hours. We just purchased 6 Monster dual action rod holders we were dieing to try out. After a very hard time finding bait in the area of the river we were fishing (markland pool) we finally said screw it we'll give it a go. So we set up drifting this one area of the river and we werent doing so hot except for a small one here and a small one there and then BAM we hit a few fish. It was intense for about 5 minutes as we had four small fish on the deck of the boat. And after drifting a little further down we decided to pick up and start that trail again. This time through the bite was even slower. We picked up only two fish and we were drifting a while and i looked at the back of the boat to my 8 foot heavy action ugly stick and it slowly started to bend to the water. i was like ah bottom. and as i was about to pick it up it straightened back up and then WHAM! the pole shot back down. So i got the rod out of the holder and said fish on its a dandy! and i looked back and dad hadnt done anything and the reason was he was grabbing a rod out of his holder and started to fight a fish. After a second he was like man i got a hawg get the net! And he looked back to see that i couldnt and asked what i had and i told him another hawg. So i had to net my own fish. and rush him out of the net because dads fish was there waiting to be netted. My fish was around the 30 pound mark and his was around 35. both were blues. Not a bad double if you ask me. So we fished a while longer andcaught a few more good fish before heading in because of the wind and the fact it was 1 am and he had to get up at 430. If we had to take our five best fish and weigh them we wouldve been flirting with a 100 lbs......Heres pictures of the two blues. not real good cuz they are from a phone and dad had to hold both because i have a torn up shoulder and not supposed to lift objects...that went out the door....and remember he is 6'6 at least 350 lbs. so they dont look huge in comparison to him. but trust me they were in the 30 and 35 range. Ive got pics over on the thread on the indiana rivers talk....i guess we cant post the same pics twice on here...

2. SURFPREP

SURFPREP New Member

State:
    KY
    Heck of a night! That should've helped your shoulder.:smile2:

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Steve thanks for sharing your great fishing trip. Enjoyed the story and congrats on some nice fish.

4. beespringer

beespringer New Member

State:
    sunfish, k
    Thats one of those nights you remember:wink:

5. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    Ain't nothing like catching a few hogs with dad:big_smile:

6. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    Nice! did a drift today below the 275 bridge, only picked up 1 small blue...the barge traffic was non stop. By the way, the GMR is chock full of bait, one cast= 40 shad. Will let you know how the rest of the weeks fishing goes:wink:

7. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    went out again last night.....wanted to come in at 1 am but didnt come in til 5. no daddy with me this time lol......well needless to say i found the fish again.....needless to say i have to take a few days off to rest my shoulder cuz lifting heavy fish after heavy fish wears it down....:tounge_out:

8. Capn Crunch

Capn Crunch New Member

State:
    Lexington,
    Great reports, Steve. Thanks for sharing!

9. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    congrats it sounds like a good time....

10. dcm

dcm New Member

State:
    ky
    Glad you had a great trip. Good fishing and better memories.

11. RSVBill

RSVBill New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Good job Steve. YOu putting in KY or Indy? Might have to try and meet up one day.

Bill

12. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Hey bill i live in rising sun so i normally put in at the rising sun city ramp or down at arnolds creek. When i want to fish up river i will put in at tanners creek in lawrenceburg. and if im below the dam i put in at an old ramp that some farmer owns right below the dam. its old beat up and need a 4x4 to do it. so sometimes i end up in vevay. but yeah we can meet up sometime. like if i went to lawrenceburg i could meet u at the petersburg ramp by just running the boat across. anyways just hit me up and maybe we can make it happen