Great night on the Ohio

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by Flootie16, Aug 18, 2009.

1. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Went out last night with the ole man for a few hours. We just purchased 6 Monster dual action rod holders we were dieing to try out. After a very hard time finding bait in the area of the river we were fishing (markland pool) we finally said screw it we'll give it a go. So we set up drifting this one area of the river and we werent doing so hot except for a small one here and a small one there and then BAM we hit a few fish. It was intense for about 5 minutes as we had four small fish on the deck of the boat. And after drifting a little further down we decided to pick up and start that trail again. This time through the bite was even slower. We picked up only two fish and we were drifting a while and i looked at the back of the boat to my 8 foot heavy action ugly stick and it slowly started to bend to the water. i was like ah bottom. and as i was about to pick it up it straightened back up and then WHAM! the pole shot back down. So i got the rod out of the holder and said fish on its a dandy! and i looked back and dad hadnt done anything and the reason was he was grabbing a rod out of his holder and started to fight a fish. After a second he was like man i got a hawg get the net! And he looked back to see that i couldnt and asked what i had and i told him another hawg. So i had to net my own fish. and rush him out of the net because dads fish was there waiting to be netted. My fish was around the 30 pound mark and his was around 35. both were blues. Not a bad double if you ask me. So we fished a while longer andcaught a few more good fish before heading in because of the wind and the fact it was 1 am and he had to get up at 430. If we had to take our five best fish and weigh them we wouldve been flirting with a 100 lbs......Heres pictures of the two blues. not real good cuz they are from a phone and dad had to hold both because i have a torn up shoulder and not supposed to lift objects...that went out the door....and remember he is 6'6 at least 350 lbs. so they dont look huge in comparison to him. but trust me they were in the 30 and 35 range.

Attached Files:

2. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    congrats to you and your dad Steve. beautiful fish there boy.

3. BARathke

BARathke New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    Nice story and pics! I am looking at some rod holders ... How did the monster holders work for you?

4. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Thanks guys and man i am telling you....go with the monster rod holders! they are awesome. better than any holder ive ever used. the size of them make it real easy to get your rod out even when you have a thirty pound fish tugging on it. And you will love the dual actions steve douglas has for both drifiting and anchoring. very convenient. im tell you man to get over on monster.com and give steve douglas a call and get you some ordered. you will love them! oh yeah i ordered them on thursday and they were sitting on the porch on friday

5. skippi2use

skippi2use New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Steve has 16 of them on his boat and they are absolutely awsome. Great night for you flootie.

6. snakeman76

snakeman76 New Member

State:
    Tallahassee, Fl
    Nice fish sounded like a great trip

7. misterwhisker

misterwhisker New Member

State:
    T. Bowl
    Congrats bro...nice fish

8. perrycounty.in

perrycounty.in New Member

State:
    Indiana
    nice fish

what was ya using for bait again?

9. Steve

Steve New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Mine are not the new duals that he has out . They are 30 Degree. Ordered mine last year during the ice storm. Steve Douglas was a$$ deep in ice and still managed to get them to me in less than a week.These rod holders are great for fishing the river with heavy rods but are almost too big for my light rods I use when fishing for eaters. Steve

10. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
  11. indycatman

indycatman New Member

State:
    Greenwood, Indi
    congrats steve on yall catch

12. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    whole shad in about thirty feet was where and what i caught them on. went out again and just got back in a few mins ago....only wanted to stay out til like 1 again but didnt come in til 5. i wonder why that was.....lol