great night on the altamaha

Discussion in 'GEORGIA RIVERS TALK' started by ArmyCatfish, Aug 30, 2008.

1. ArmyCatfish

ArmyCatfish New Member

State:
    Georgia
    went out last night aug 29. good night caught one about 52lb real thick solid fish and another about an even 50. and 3 in the 10lb range. all in all in was a hell of a night with perfect weather and good fishin. goin out again tonight gonna meet up with greg (altamahajon) ill let yall know how we do

2. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Congrats on a great night fishing, good luck in the future

3. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    Pictures please :big_smile:

4. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    I grew up down that way. What area were you fishing?

5. Fivebraids

Fivebraids New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Congrats on the nice flatties! Take some pictures next time.

My wife and I gotta make it out there at NIGHT soon!

- Marty -

6. Fishmaster1203

State:
    PA
    What? No photos of two 50 pounders? :confused2:

7. Cuda-Cada

Cuda-Cada Member

State:
    Jacksonville, Fl.
    I just talked with Greg(AltamahaJon). Great fish! Congratulations!
    -Bob

8. Fishmaster1203

State:
    PA
    Nice post participation medal you got there Bob. Congratulations. Guess I need to participate a little bit more. :confused2:

9. ArmyCatfish

ArmyCatfish New Member

State:
    Georgia
    went out the next night with greg (altamahajon) didnt do to bad two around 20 and a couple round ten and two nice channels. sent greg and his wife home with one it ended up having a milly taste i guess. which now makes some sense greg that one was caught right by the mills waste valve up there

10. doodlebug188

doodlebug188 New Member

State:
    ga.
    do the fish taste funny south of the mill?:confused2:

11. Fivebraids

Fivebraids New Member

State:
    Georgia
    We've wondered about that waste water affecting the fish in the river. (It sure isn't very appealing in appearance...)

According to a DNR agent that stopped us to check licenses, that waste water will NOT affect fish, or their taste.

But...

He did add that he wouldn't keep any fish he caught real close to that valve.

Denise and I enjoyed eaiting her flatty, that was caught a mile or two below that valve. Tasted fine...fresh...and not "milly" at all. I guess the waste water had a chance to get dliuted by then...?

On this same topic, Denise and I are trying to decide if we want to set up camp way down river from that valve this weekend, to avoid the smell in the air, and give the waste water a chance to get diluted. Or if we'd be better off staying up near Jaycee's to avoid being down river of that valve.

What say y'all....?

- Marty -

12. Plowboy411

Plowboy411 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I hauled wood into Rayonier off and on for 15 years.
    some times just breathing the air long enough to unload will leave a chity taste in your mouth.

13. Fivebraids

Fivebraids New Member

State:
    Georgia
    When I read Jon's comment about the 'milly' taste to Denise, she said that she wondered if it wasn't just the lingering taste and smell from being near the mill...and not the fish at all...:angry:

Still trying to decide for this weekend if we should be up river of the valve, or down river of the smell...:confused2:

- Marty -

14. Plowboy411

Plowboy411 New Member

State:
    Georgia

after you are there for awhile the smell isn't so bad.LOL
    but I don't think I would eat the fish too close to the plant.

I've hauled some nasty chem's to that place also.LOL

15. altamahajon

altamahajon New Member

State:
    Jesup, Georgia
    As far as the fish it was fine. There was a slight and I mean slight taste to it. I do fill that it was because it was right there at the mill that it was caught on limb line and took it in. As Armycatfish said that is the likley reason. Most fish that he catches does not have any of that in it...... Didnt mean to stir anything up......lol

Hope to get down to the river soon and do some scouting around. Got some hints on some areas I need to check and once I get searched out will share them with ya or take you down there and show ya.

On the way back home from the river some how the pvc guide on the left side of the trailer just snapped off driving down the road. So I spent several hours on it today taking the pipe that on the right side off and putting lights on the trailer where they were made for. Got all that rewired and working again. shew......

Glad to see that Hanna appears to be heading more east than first projected..... May be able to do some good this weekend.

Let yall know if and when we decide to go. The next tho... IKE is one to watch out for...... by Monday it is to be 130 mph and possibly turning up the coast of Fla.

Catch yall later.

Greg AJ

16. Fivebraids

Fivebraids New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Sorry to hear about the trailer problem, but glad to hear you got it fixed!

And yeah, looks like Hanna's gonna leave us alone so Denise and I are planning to get to the river this weekend. Hopefully we'll be able to hook up if you make it...

- Marty -

17. Fivebraids

Fivebraids New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Hmm, that's what we're trying to decide. How far down river from that waste water valve is 'far enough'? :confused2:

- Marty -

18. Plowboy411

Plowboy411 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I would say half a mile but that's just me.LOL

some of my friends fish there in Jesup at the wastewater holding pond and eat all the fish thy catch.
    but I wouldn't.
    like I told them,,
    you can't taste all the chemicals the fish have absorbed.
    besides.
    you gotta leave some for seed anyway.LOL

19. smackover

smackover New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I vote for up river

I live in Port Wentworth on the Savannah River. We have a paper mill whose waste valve is right here by the boat landing and on slack tide the water looks like iced tea mixed with chocolate milk....

you almost hate to walk in it to put in a boat even tho
    DNR and the mill says it's good

I sort of believe larger more territiorial fish would like to stay in a home area...

soooooo, I like to fish for eating fish several miles up river above I-95.

My .02

Smackover