Great night at Olathe Lake !!!

Discussion in 'KANSAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by KC Jayhawk 78, Jul 27, 2008.

1. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Went to Olathe Lake Fri. night with Shelby. bite was slow at first , but around 2 am it was hammer time. Shelby had his best night of fishing in a long time. He couldnt stop catching fish, and Im not talking about small ones either. He was using cut bluegill and live bluegill for bait. All his fish but one was caught on cut bluegill, the other one was caught on live bluegill under a slip bobber. All the fish were CPR'd. I got skunked. I had fun though being the net man and watching Shelby have such a good time. Shelby has caught some good fish this year , but he was due for a great night, and I was just glad to be there to see so many nice fish caught. Congratulations Shelby. I was in awe of you Fri. night.

8lb.
    http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll48/k1978a/8lb1.jpg

8lb.
    http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll48/k1978a/8lb2.jpg

13 lb.
    http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll48/k1978a/13lb1.jpg

13 lb.
    http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll48/k1978a/13lb2.jpg

14.5 lb.
    http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll48/k1978a/145.jpg

Please make sure to give Shelby the rep points, I just posted the pics. :big_smile:

2. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Those are definately some nice channels Shelby. Congratultions on one he!! of a night. Are you sure you didnt have someone with scuba gear down there takin off Keiths bait?:wink::smile2: You'll get em next time Keith.

3. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Yeah he was in the honey hole. I wasnt going to crowd in on him. I had a good fish take my 8" perch for a ride, but I missed him when I set the hook. :sad2:

4. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Congrats Shelby them are some nice cats.

Keith good job with the net and great picture taken.Your turn next on the fish.

5. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    Thanks For Posting The Pics Keith And For Being A Good Net/Picture Man.

We Were Fishing For Flatheads And There Was No Way Of Keeping Them Channels Off So I Started Using Cut Bait From One That I Reeled In That Was Killed By A Turtle.

I Cut Him Up And Thru Him Back Out. I Never Have Done Any Good At Olathe Lake On Cut Bluegills So I Really Did'nt Want To Kill One To Catch A Turtle. But That Was Really What They Wanted Friday Night. I Did Catch A Big Painted Turtle The Biggest One I Had Ever Seen And I Caught A 6" Bullhead That I Thought Was A Bigger Fish And I Set The Hook So Hard It Ripped Half His Guts Out.

I Really Wanted A Flathead But I Really Had Fun Anyways I Wish There Was A Bait That Flats Would Eat And The Channels Will Not.

6. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS
    Congrats on the great night. Way to put him on the cats keith! I need to go fishin with you!:wink:

7. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Congrats Shelby! That's pretty amazing for any time out there, but even more so for a night when there wasn't a lot of water coming into the lake.

8. kat king

kat king New Member

State:
    hutchinson,ks
    congrats shelby them are some nice channels good pics u took there keith glad someone was catchin them friday night i went on the ark and had the same gills on all night still alive when i left..:crazy::smile2:..

9. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    Casey, I Have Been Fishing This Lake Before Keith Was Even Out Of Diapers:smile2:. Lol.

10. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    now thats funny !! :smile2::smile2::smile2:

11. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Thanks for the report and the photos, congrats to shelby. I look forward to future reports

12. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Yeah and Shelby is younger than me. Go figure. Casey you should come fish with us sometime. We rarely get skunked. The catfishing is starting to pick up around here. The next couple of weeks should be really good. :cool2:

13. tmramrod91

tmramrod91 New Member

State:
    kansas
    Good work shelby. I was out there on friday night as well, and got skunked too. Had plenty of bites, but all were too small to take the live gills I was using.
    Apparently you guys hid from the cops! They were making their rounds and making everyone leave at midnight, so beings as we hadn't got anything we decided to obey and left. Guess we should held out longer till the bite really turned on!
    I went out on sat as well and did pretty good. Got a 9.5 and a 6 lber (sorry no pics). Had to leave around 1230, but the bite slowed way down after the storms went through :confused2:
    Shelby/Keith, Steve and I will be out there friday night along with another buddy of mine, let us know and we can meet up and maybe learn a thing or two about the lake.

p.s. i've used cut gills out there every time i've been and only caught a tiny turtle on them, so i stopped using them...guess I might have to start using them again.

14. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Cops came by us , but they didnt pull in, they just shined their light and left. Sometimes they are cool sometimes not. We will probably be out their again Fri. night. When you say Steve, are talking about Steve V. , if so Ive met him before out there. Where were you guys fishing at? I was thinking about heading down to Woodson this Fri, but we might make Olathe again. Ill keep you posted via this thread.

15. tmramrod91

tmramrod91 New Member

State:
    kansas
    Huh, guess you guys got lucky. The cop was real cool and kinda acted like we didnt have to leave, but o well.

By steve I mean steve H (smhmc) the wichita guy. He's being kind enough to help me move this weekend and we're gonna try and squeeze some fishing in. Movin up north of the river and to the dark side (MO) so dont know how much I'll be fishing Lake Olathe anymore after this weekend. Smithville better watch out :smile2:

16. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Right on Kevin. If you want one last hurrah on Olathe Lake , we can do that. :smile2:

17. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Keith, thanks for posting the pics, maybe next time you can be on the other side of the camera:smile2:

18. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Keith, nice stringer. It's great to see folks are taking "kids" fishing and teaching them how. In order to keep them interested though, you have to let them catch one at least, even a little one:smile2::smile2::smile2:

19. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    Jim, How have you been? I need to make a trip up to Milford some time soon. Got a motor on the ole' jon boat now, so you won't have to tow me in to the ramp if a storms rushing in now:big_smile:, haha. Anyway, Kevin's talking about me. I'm helping him move some stuff from Wichita to KC like he said. He's also been braggin to me about the fish he's been catching at Lake Olatha.... I'm expecting some good things Friday night. Heck, if things go right I/we might even go back Saturday night. Oh, looking forward to meeting both Kieth and Shelby if things work out.

20. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Yeah Steve we'll be there. :big_smile: