Great night and morning at Lake Wateree/Clearwater Cove

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by harper81, Jun 10, 2007.

1. harper81

harper81 Member

State:
    Summerville, SC
    Went up for my squadron picnic yesterday at the AFB Rec area and what a day/night/morning of fishing. Not sure on what the number breakdown was as far as blues and channels but we ended up with 7 3-6 lbers last night and this morning I caught 3 more in the same range. There were also quite a few smaller cats that got released to grow up. Last night we were using cut threadfin and this morning I was using bream heads. I am now officially sold on bream heads.

2. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    harper

Keep the small cats and release the big ones. They are much better to eat. I try to release all blues over 20. We are going to have a great fishery at Wateree!:big_smile:

Those heads worked good didn't they!

3. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Bill, it's good to know you caught some nice cats. I bet you'll be back there real soon, too. :smile2:

4. harper81

harper81 Member

State:
    Summerville, SC
    I was also wondering if perch heads would have the same effect bream heads do. I like going up to the 378 bridge since its near by, but I don't ever get any shad there. I manage to get some small white perch though. I have never tried them, but I don't see why they wouldn't perform the same way.

5. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    Haven't done as well with perch heads. Small live perch make decent bait esp for flatheads. Clip a couple fins and cut them to make them bleed. According to LKN Blues the bream heads are just more "juicy". We finished 10th overall at the Cabela's King Kat Classic on Santee-Cooper a couple years ago dragging bream heads!:lol:

6. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Bill, if you have small white perch, cut them at the belly and use the head to belly part, they will do you proud. And as mudkip says "catfish on, what do I do now"!

7. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    perch live is great for flats and you'll get some big blues too. Cut perch fillets and strips work good (Thanks Mac!). I've been using perch heads for a couple years and I don't catch a bunch of fish but I don't think I've got one under 20 lb. on a perch head. I've caught maybe 20 fish or so the past year or two on heads and they were all nice. What size brim are ya'll cutting the heads off the how are ou hooking them. probably through the eyes. I havne't used much cut brim. Do the fillets and strips work good? Thanks!

8. harper81

harper81 Member

State:
    Summerville, SC
    I was using pretty small bream. They were probably 6 inches max. I am sure people use bigger ones, but I only had 5/0 hooks so that was the perfect size for my hook. And I hooked them at the top of the head. Right in front of where the dorsal fin would be.