Great Mysteries of Fishing

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by Chumbucket101, Aug 1, 2020.

1. Chumbucket101

Chumbucket101 Member

State:
    Texas
    Name:
    Gabe
    Rats nest! Aaarrrggghh! Twice in the last two weeks i have had rats nest on reels spooled with brand new braided line. Very, very frustrating and for the life of me i can understand how the main line finds its way under layers of spooled line? Could be one if the greatest mysteries of the modern fisherman.
    In your experience, what is unexplainable, a great mystery to the devoted fisherman?

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
    Flat Top likes this.
  2. cat seeker 374

cat seeker 374 Well-Known Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    Name:
    jacob
    Rats nest on a conventional reel? This happens when the spool spins faster than line comes off the reel. This happens when the lead and bait slows down or hits the water and it stops taking line. Through momentum the spool continues spinning and spins faster then the amount of line that comes off causing a massive tangle.

3. Chumbucket101

Chumbucket101 Member

State:
    Texas
    Name:
    Gabe
    I suppose a rats nest is a relative term, i can clear the nest usually but takes a time away from fishing. Really how did the main line get under layers of line is my question.

Flat Top likes this.
  4. twaskom

twaskom Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    Well, if you could watch a bird nest in slow motion, as it is occurring you will see some of what you hear when a bird nest happens.

First of it is a bird nest. A rats nest is the bedroom of a child growing up.

Anyway back to the bird nest. As, like Jacob mentioned, the flying sinker end of the line stops or slows down the spool is spinning faster than the amount of line being taken off. The centrifugal force cause by the spool spinning at high velocity will cause line still encircling the spool to be force out away from the spool and somewhat float in the air around the spinning spool. As more and more of this floating line developed they tend to move from side to side getting under other strands. Somewhere in this spinning developing bird nest there is a train wreck and everything comes to an abrupt halt. This is accompanied by a sound similar to a playing card that is just not quite far enough into the spokes of a bicycle wheel. At the end of that sound, a bird nest is born, most often followed by some words in the English language that would make a bartender blush.

There you have it. It is a very technical occurrence that I have tried to explain in down to earth straight talk. Others can give it their shot if they wish to.

Flat Top, Cuda, Don Fischer and 4 others like this.
  5. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Birdnests are God's way of telling you that you need to practice your casting and reel adjusting technique:tongue1: !

I think one of the biggest mysteries in fishing is how to switch off the feature on my sonar unit that only shows fish that aren't hungry!

...W

BCT, Flat Top, Cuda and 3 others like this.
  6. SteveMcK

SteveMcK Well-Known Member

State:
    MS
    Name:
    Steve
    Spool braid on very tight. It also helps if you put it on wet. I wet an old rag and hold the line very tight as I spool it on. It will tear the rag up so don't use the wife's good bath rags. If it is already on the reel, just let line out as you putt along in a boat and use the same technique to reel it in. And then there is always the learn to cast better (thumb it) and better set up your reel.

Flat Top, Cuda and Chumbucket101 like this.
  7. twaskom

twaskom Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    When you put tension on the line and reel it in to get a tightly wound spool, DO NOT have that steady tension pulling across that eyelet on the tip. You will groove it. Only add the tension between the reel and first eyelet.

good luck

Flat Top, Cuda and SteveMcK like this.
  8. Don Fischer

Don Fischer Well-Known Member

State:
    Cental Oregon
    Name:
    Don Fischer
    Thank God for that. I was wondering what a rats nest was! :) Local kids goes fishing with us quite a bit and use's a spinning rod of my son's. The son put's all braded line on his spinning reels and simply avoids level wind reels. Every time we go I have to dig a birds nest out of the reel that kid uses. Myself, I hate braided line! Have some on a sturgeon rod I have and even used it one time. But it was quite simple. Bait went over the side of the boat and straight down! I've caught 14 sturgeon in my career, all on the same trip and not one keeper. I got that braided stuff first time out with a new rod just for sturgeon because my older brother said I'd need it.Other than I couldn't tie a knot with it that would hold, it worked fine. Let my brother tie knot's in it! Shouldn't have to think so much about fishing! :) I remember as a kid we grabbed a "pole", dug some worms and went out and caught 3" bluegill till it would make you sick. Tied on hooks with simple granny knots! Sometimes I really miss the good old days! Amazing how many different knots you can tie a hook on with today!

Flat Top and Chumbucket101 like this.
  9. Cuda

Cuda Well-Known Member

State:
    Iowa
    Name:
    Mike
    When I spool my reels I use a old broken rod that the top half is gone. That way I do not have to worry about the eyes. I have put it on where I had to tighten the drag more so I could get it on tight.

SteveMcK, Flat Top and D schuerenberg like this.
  10. Flat Top

Flat Top Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    Name:
    George
    What is unexplainable to me is: The guy fishing next to me is using the same bait, hook, gear, and casting to the same spot that I am, and he is catching all the fish!!!

11. SteveMcK

SteveMcK Well-Known Member

State:
    MS
    Name:
    Steve
    Is it scent or just dumb luck??!!!

Flat Top and Chumbucket101 like this.