Great morning on CJ Brown

Discussion in 'OHIO LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Doctor, Jun 16, 2006.

1. Doctor

Doctor Member

State:
    Springfield, Ohio
    It started out slow, bait was easy to get Shad are spawning on the lake and are all over those retaining walls, went back on the North end and didn't get a bump noticed on the way back that I had marked some good arches about a hundred yards before the humps so i went out there and set-up a drift pattern along the creek channel in 30 foot of water, wind was blowing out of the South so it was going the right way and I stayed right in the channel.

I'm still learning this drifting technique but the rigs that I used all came from members of the BOC on there input about how to drift. Caught 6 fish, largest was a 12# Bluecat, the other five were all 10# Channel cats and I think I may have caught one of them twice he hit about thirty seconds after I released him and I saw a streak on the depth finder then the rod went down. Looked like he may have headed right back down to the channel and picked up the bait.

Drifting is not my most favorite thing to do but I need to learn the technique for use on the river when there is no current.

I was dragging Shad heads about 18 inches off the bottom along the channel line, using a 2 foot leader with a float attached to it and a 18 inch dropper line with a 3 oz. bolt weight.

None of the fish showed any signs of spawning but they have been feeding a lot.

When I used the Shad body portions the rods would just jiggle like crazy in the holders and the bait would be gone when they stopped so that could have been Perch or White bass working.

Doc

2. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Sounds like a good morning Doc, congrats on the catches. Nice to hear Shad are still easy to come by out there.

3. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    I didnt even know that CJ had bluecats in it

4. Doctor

Doctor Member

State:
    Springfield, Ohio
    River King,
    Yep there are some good ones in there I catch more during the winter time when the water is cold, I'm not much on lake fishing but CJ is real close to my home, the river is 1.5 hours away but I'll fish a river before a lake anytime.......Doc

5. fish-n-fool

fish-n-fool New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Great job Doc!

I am heading out there in the morning around 5:30; probably fish until 10:30 or 11 and get off the lake before the party shows up:crazy:

If you want to get a look at the Lowrance unit like we talked about give me a call on my cell.

Last Monday when you were testing your new water pump - I never did get a single bite on shad. I switched to eye / crappie fishing at all the usual hot spots and nothing! Finally moved over to the dam area and worked the steep drop off from 12-20 fow and caught several crappie, 2 channel cats, and a white bass. Beat the skunk:lol:

6. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    Yeah Doc, im the one that emails you fron time to time, to check how you are doing in the tourneys and on the Ohio in general, i live real close to springfeild my self, i send you emails from Assurant

7. Doctor

Doctor Member

State:
    Springfield, Ohio
    River King,

Oh ok I know who you are now, man your close to Springfield you should come over here and hit this lake for catfish it's a very untapped for catfishing,

Lance they are dumping a lot of water out the spillway it has created a good flow in the lake figure that's why the fish where in the channel are in that deeper water, normally they are in the north end as you well know.

Yep I think I'm going to bite the bullet and work overtime for the next two weeks, boss asked me yesterday if I could work overtime, normally I like to stick to the forty hours and spend my overtime fishing, but I'm wanting that Lowrance the big Kahuna, Lynn said you bought the top of the line 12 years ago and it has done great, it's time to upgrade so work the overtime and get the unit that you really want, plus your getting old and your eyes don't see things like they used to and that 10.5 inch screen will help you out gotta love a woman who loves to fish as much as me..................Doc

8. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Hey Doc, sounds like a great morning, I also want to start learning how to drift fish on the GMR when the current is down now that I finally got a boat.
    Are you planning to swing by the GMR outing tomorrow? Would like to meet you!

Salmonid

9. Doctor

Doctor Member

State:
    Springfield, Ohio
    Yes we are going to fish for maybe 4 hours or so maybe longer if the fishing is good..........Doc

10. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    Well my boat was broke down, and it took me almost 2 years to get it fixed, but now it runs like a champ, so CJ will be a place that i will hit up, but im not real sure about how to target cats on a lake

11. fish-n-fool

fish-n-fool New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I can't make the outing due to a b-day party in Jeffersonville, but I was hoping to just to meet a few of you guys in person.

RiverKing - sounds like you and I should get together. I fish CJ quite a bit and often alone. I also fish Cowan and CC - drive right through YS on my way. I also pass on some opportunities to head down to the Ohio River because I don't want to go alone; maybe we could make some trips together since we are close. (It is a long drive after a full day and I have trouble staying awake!!!!)

If you are interested shoot me a pm and we will talk.

Maybe we should plan a mini BOC outing at CJ this summer or fall? Seems like several of us fish the lake & many others live nearby and would like to give it a shot. I'd be willing to take 1 or 2 members on my boat for the outing. Just thinking outloud:tounge_out:

12. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Hey Doc, whats it gonna take for Ohio to open an entry for a state record blue cat?

13. Doctor

Doctor Member

State:
    Springfield, Ohio
    Walter,

Doubt we will ever see it been on the endangered list even when I was a kid Cj has a good population of them but other lakes in the state don't have them................Doc

14. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    never have caught a blue at CJ but i imagine they, as well as some flatties are in there. i used to fish a pay-pond up that way some years back and there were guys re-stocking blues and flatties from there into CJ. i dont get up there much during the summer but i find the bigger channels in deeper ( 15FT)water near the channel from late May on, never fished any deeper than that though. think the channels might be done spawning because i kept 6 2-4lb fish from there about 2 weeks ago and there werent any eggs or "White stuff" in them. males were a really dark blue then too, almost purple.

15. Ellis

Ellis New Member

State:
    Yellow Springs, Ohio
    Nice, im going there tomorrow. Maybe we can meet up sometime.........and show me your spots:big_smile_2: