Great Monty trip Nov 14th 2009

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by SCcatfishing, Nov 14, 2009.

1. SCcatfishing

SCcatfishing New Member

State:
    SC
    Well today was a good day on Monty..... I got my new SC PB, My friend Will got his PB.... I have a PB of 78/79 pound from Back home but I don't think I will ever beat that so I don't try lol..... But anyways We got 10 lifters, then 10, two 20's, and the bigun of 46 lbs. We also lost alot of 20+ lb fish and I have no clue to why my power pro kepts breaking.... All I can think of was the leaders was getting weak from all the snags over the last 2 trips.....

Attached Files:

2. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    That's your problem. I almost never fish the same leader twice. Also, after any snag or fish I check the leader for nicks/burs and such. That and I always take about the first 6-10ft of fishing line after before every trip. After your rods have sat even a day pull some line out and feel the section of line where it was kinked up at the end of the rod.

It takes a little time but it'll keep ya from losing fish b/c of rotten leader/line. You never know when the biggest fish you've ever seen will grab a hold of it:wink:

Last edited: Nov 14, 2009

3. Cutbait101

Cutbait101 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    congrats on the pb david:big_smile:

4. SCcatfishing

SCcatfishing New Member

State:
    SC
    Also most of these fish was cpr except for 6 lifters and the 10 pounder.... All those that was kept are about to hit the hot grease at my buddy Will's house...:wink:

5. gotta go

gotta go New Member

State:
    SC
    great trip, what kind of bait?

6. Chalk

Chalk New Member

State:
    Union, South Carolina
    way to go on the big monty blues

7. SCcatfishing

SCcatfishing New Member

State:
    SC
    Bait that was used was shad and blue backs....

8. Beaufort

Beaufort Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    good trip thanks for the pics. I'm going monday i'll be in a green voyager pon toon if any of yall are down give me a hollar

9. gotta go

gotta go New Member

State:
    SC
    Them fish at wateree don't like shad, i guess i'll takem to Monty and try them:big_smile:

10. moruffrydn

moruffrydn New Member

State:
    SC
    14th was good for me and my lil one also. Caught my boat record (12 lb blue) and a lot of eaters (2-7 lbs). Still searchin for that monster though. Tried a little trick to bring my frozen perch and bream alive. I wasn't catchin anything on the livers so I started thawing out my cut bait (perch & bream) by soaking it in the blood. Must have worked. My daughter caught two nice eaters back to back and I pulled in the 7 and 12 lbers. Sat in the spot for about an before I got the first hit. Missed what may have been a monster. Bent my stout rod in two before getting loose. I let loose a tirade of 4 letter words. :angry: Then I got back to biz

11. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Good report, David. VERY nice fish! Personally I would NOT use Power Pro, or any braid for leaders. Simply not enough abrasion resistance. That's just my opinion though. I use fluorocarbon when I can afford it, and mono when I can't. Still use braid 100% for my main line though. BTW: CERTAINLY you can beat your PB, especially on Monty. There's some giants in there from what I understand. Welcome to the BOC, Mike!

Bill in SC

Last edited: Nov 16, 2009
  12. SCcatfishing

SCcatfishing New Member

State:
    SC
    Thanks for the advice Bill, also I need to upgrade my fishfinder that might help me find the bigger fish on monty... someone stole my screen to my other finder so I'm using a fish finder from 97 or 98.... But it does tell me how deep I am, she has been putting me on some bigguns lol..:wink: