great miami river yesterday revisited

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by katkiller77, Mar 16, 2008.

1. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    I was thinking about my granddad the other day. I remember thinking about him taking us to troy to fish catching channel cats and bluegill all day. it came to mind when i was posting on this sight. using nightcrawlers and earth worms to fish. i saw him get a rather large carp when i was 11. there just remembering yesterday rick

2. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    Our good memories are some of the best times of our life .... Garry-

3. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i have some great memories as well of some early fishing trips, those memories are what makes the outdoors with friends and family so valuable, and a major part of our lives....rollo​

4. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i have some great memories of my Great-Grandfather and i on the GMR as well. he loved to catch carp and had him a little spot down between the Carrillon bells and I-75 where we would fish. he woould carp fish while i would run up and down the bank with this big 'ol cane pole catching sunfish. he used this pre-historic levelwind spooled with black dacron with an old glass rod. man i dont see how he casted that thing, i still have it, it has a special place in the gun cabinet.

5. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Memories of fishing generally find their way to the top of my list, thanks for sharing.

6. Mizzbigcat

Mizzbigcat New Member

State:
    Warren County Ohio
    I remember my mom making Wheatie Balls the night before she'd take us fishing at Huffman Dam.

I was five or six years old. She would keep us out fishing till dark, and she would always tell us the same story of her dad catching a big flathead on a chunk of Ivory Soap.

I've often wondered about that story, and would like to know if anyone here has caught or seen someone catch fish on soap.

I take my daughter fishing several times a week durring the summer, hoping that when she grows up she will have the same fond memories of fishing with her mamma.

7. dademoss

dademoss New Member

State:
    Ohio
    The trotline guys use soap all the time as bait.

8. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    dink sometimes i still carp fish occasionally that way myself. very fond memories rick

9. GumboGalahad

GumboGalahad New Member

State:
    Richmond, Indiana
    Growing up I remember quite a few of the old guys would use soap on their fishing lines. For some reason it was always Ivory. Maybe the fact that it floats has something to do with it. I'm not sure but I know they did catch fish.

10. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    those days were special. i also have seen pictures of kin in irvine kentucky catching several large channels. and shovelhead from the kentucky river there. i imght be heading down there too see them and fish rick

11. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    I remember every year we used to go to Indian Lake in Bellfountain Oh, my parents would rent a cabin for the week and sometimes my uncle would let us borrow his boat. My Dad wouldnt go no the boat he didnt like them but I would take the boat all over the lake and try to fish. There were times that I would sit on the bank behind the cabin with my Dad I would be using worms trying to catch gills and some cats with my Zebco my Dad would have this short 5ft rod with a small shakespeare baitcaster and a huge doughball on it. He used 25lb braid and at the time his braid was about the same diameter of 25lb mono now. He would fling it out there and sometimes birdsnest it and start cussing LOL. He would get a bite and reel back on the rod and set the hook horsing in this 20ish lb carp and I was amazed and would just watch him fish. I loved those times and I wish that I could have taken him out one more time before he died. Now whenever I take the boys out I try to remember him teaching me something, it doesnt always work tho LOL.

We used to hit Buckeye all the time also, they tore the part of the canal down or moved it or something but it was more in the millersport area but it wasnt on liebs I dont think. Anyways he would catch some decent size carps there while I watched him.