Great Miami River rig question

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by kitsinni, Jun 20, 2007.

1. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Hi everyone, new to the forum! I have a question for you guys. I am fishing the GMR at a place where the current is strong. I bought some 5oz triangle weights in hopes I can combat the current there. I am looking for advice on how to rig it. Do I keep the big weight at the bottom of the line and put the hook up a bit, or opposit?

2. bigfish08

bigfish08 New Member

State:
    ohio
    i have fished the gmr for quite a few years, and i beleive i have found the perfect rig for me, everyone fishes a little different. i fish from the bank and usually encounter alot of snags. ill try to explain my rig,,, first you will need 2 heavy swivels, a bead, 10 in. of 40 pound test for leader and 5 in. of 8 pound test for leader dropper, hook of choice and weight of choice (some kind of bank sinker or teardrop weight some say) in 4 ounce, or five for you..
    first make a leader by connecting your hook to the barrell swivel with the 40# test line. your leader should be about 10 in. next connect your weight to the other swivel with 8 pound line. this should be about 5 in. long. finally slide your main line through the swivel with the weight, then your bead, then tie on your leader. you should have a sliding three way rig. if you get snagged which happens frequently, most of the time it will be your weight, since there is 8 pound line you only break your weight off and dont loose your whole rig..
    good luck! if you have any more questions ask away!!

3. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    That one is called a modified slip rig and is very useful in rocky areas like he said. You can also use it in current to intentionally get your sinker snagged so your bait stays in place. The light dropper will break when you set the hook. Just cast farther up stream from the target area, keep the line tight as the current pushes it downstream and you will feel it snag on something. Then just tighten up a little and put her in freespool with the clicker on and you are set. The fish can still pull out line and you don't have to keep re-casting lol.

4. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Hi Niko and welcome to the BOC! I used the triangle weights and did the set up they mention with the break away line. It works but you still loose a lot of sinkers and 5-6oz sinkers and that can add up quick $$. What I found that works best for me in fast currant is a no-roll sinker. If the currant is real fast I do not use a leader just a sinker,bb to protect the knot and my hook. The no-roll sinker does not move much in the currant and with out the leader that allows the weight to free up the hook if it snags. I have lost a lot less tackle this way. Also remember to check your line and retie if needed because the river sand and rocks are hard on the mono lines and will weaken them. I hope this helps.

5. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I found the 5oz Triangle weights to kinda be a pain. I am going to look in to those no-rolls, they look interesting. Thanks for the advice!

6. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Small dia. line such as Power Pro, Spider does make a difference over mono in strong current....if lookin fer alittle help.

:roll_eyes:

7. Jammer

Jammer New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Kitsinni, If you haven't found any No-rolls, PM me your address and I'll send you some. I bought some new molds and been making a bunch.:smile2:

8. kory

kory New Member

State:
    Fairfield, Ohio
    I'll take free sinkers lol

that slip rig, instead of using sinkers, which add up quickly, use old nuts, or anything heavy enough to hold it and that when you loose it it's no big deal.