Great Miami river question

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by RiverKing, Apr 27, 2006.

1. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    Hey can anyone help me out and tell me a few good spots to fish on the GMR between dayton and Middletown??

2. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Are you fishing for Channels or flatties? Boat or shore? CnR or keeping eaters? looking for numbers or size, etc.
    That would help us determine some spots for you.
    I know Spencer lives in Franklin and fishes that stretch a lot so he may be able to help, Ill let him pipe in. I fish up in Dayton mostly and only know the obvious places down south of Dayton.

Strong Knots,
    Salmonid

3. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    i woul like to target some bigger fish, channels or flatties, as long as i catch them, but i am not going to be eating any of them, ill just throw them all back..Just want to have some fun, and get out on the water..Oh and ill most likely be fishing off the bank

4. Spencer_Blanton

Spencer_Blanton New Member

State:
    Franklin, Ohio
    Thanks Mark. Good questions. I could use those answers too. The GMR between West Carrolton is pretty readily accessible from the bank due to the bike path running through there. I'll get what information that I can provide to you.

Spencer

5. Spencer_Blanton

Spencer_Blanton New Member

State:
    Franklin, Ohio
    The GMR between West Carrolton is pretty readily accessible from the bank due to the bike path running through there. There are four low dams between Dayton and Middletown. This map from the Miami Convervancy District is a great resource.
    http://www.miamiconservancy.org/flood/pdfs/gmr_map.pdf

As it grows warmer, the higher O2 levels near the dams are schooling areas. Locating the deeper pools near the dams will be the key. They can appear as much as 1000 yards downstream. The underwater topography changes a lot because of the high silt level and flooding. Look for log jams and obstructions for daytime fishing. Work the flats upstream of holes for dawn and dust fishing. I've had success with goldfish/blugill, cutbait, livers, commercial stink bait, and good old worms. The largest have been on goldfish/blugill.

My initial web search years ago with the words catfish and Miami returned only catfish consumption advisories south of Dayton. Perfect CPR environment! :roll_eyes:

I'll PM a couple specific locations to get you started.

Spencer