Great Miami River - Off Needmore

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by Monsterkat11, Apr 27, 2006.

1. Monsterkat11

Monsterkat11 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    great miami river off needmore, the pulloff by the bridge. anyone ever had luck there?

2. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    You can go to the right & fish, walk down a little bank or walk downstream. There are some areas to fish from the bank there. I doubt you'll see flatheads, possible there could be a few, but should be some decent channells. Sometimes they have it blocked off by the concrete chunks, other times you can drive through them. There used to be LOTS of off road guys that would go back there. My brother law & me almost had some trouble w/ some drunk pit smolers back there, so watch out. LOTS of carp though. Normally I wouldnt post a lot out in the open, but thats one stretch that is obviously fished a lot. It's an easy to get to spot, but be carefull espically if you fish under the bridge. You and Travis need to get with me, I'll show you a couple easy to get to safer spots. Please PM mw w/ your ph # and Travis ph #.

See ya guys.

3. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Oh yea, it's bad enough that the BOC messes w/ some the mbr's work time (like me) but you need to PAY ATTENTION IN CLASS & stop surfing the web!!!! :haha:

4. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    its a very good area but can get out-fished with too much publicity. it used to get slammed really hard 'back-in-tha-day (80's), but since they have blocked off the parking areas on either side and under the bridge it rarely gets fished and has made a wonderful recovery. i can remember that spot, along with a few others in that area that would be filled with lanterns at night on the weekends.

5. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    On a good note. Last year I took my son there & we were checked by an ODNR officer. There were "iffy" blockcades up, but I was just able to my Jeep through them, so we fished. A little while went by & the officer checked my license & asked how we were doing. So with that being done, I assume it's legal to fish there.

6. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Some buddies of mine told me about heading up the West bank, Upstream a few years back and getting into a ton of carp, some nice ones too! and they also told me of catching a few northerns up there on spinnerbaits.
    I never fished there but always thought it looked good for carp and such.
    I would definately watch your back down there ;)

Perhaps you should bring Mellon and his Army down there with you.....:eek:

Salmonid

7. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Bryan, for the love of god I hope this is not english????

What in the hell is a pit smoler?

8. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    If he meant pot smoker, he really is in bad, bad shape..geez!

9. chubbahead

chubbahead Member

State:
    Ohio
    I fish up stream from the needmore bridge probably three times a week. You can catch a lot of channels. It is almost impossible not to catch smallmouth up there.

You do need to be safe in that area though. Especially if you fish upstream. The neighborhood that sits off the river up stream is infested with drugs. I wouldn't worry about the people smoking pot, you might want to worry about everyone down there on meth though. The locals don't really like to see people down there they do not know along the river. None of the property along that river really belongs to any of them though. They are building a bike path on the west bank, and that has them all pissed off. That is not a bike path I would want to ride on if I didn't know anyone in that neighborhood though. A lot of bad things have happened in those woods back there.

When we were younger, me and my bro would ride our bikes there from Huber Heights. We would go to the needmore bridge and walk way up past the water plant. It was our favorite channel hole. He was down there by himself one day, fishing on the east bank, when a man came out of the woods on the west bank with his shotgun. This old man actually started shooting at my brother, who was only 13 to 15 years old at the time. We never went back after that.

I started fishing it again about four years ago. My brother moved into the neighborhood. I am on good terms with all the people who live down there now, so I am pretty safe to fish. As for the old man who shot at my brother, well, we found out a couple years ago who it was and the locals said he was just a crazy old man. I guess he died a few years ago. My brother actually lives in his old house. Kinda strange huh.

I'm heading down there in about four minutes to fish. I'll let you know how I do.