Great Miami River Near Hamilton 5/27

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by SVTFisherman, May 27, 2008.

1. SVTFisherman

SVTFisherman New Member

State:
    Ohio - West Chester
    Well everyone, today I finally managed to go catting around here! My buddy and I ended our fishing trip to Cumberland short (not a fan of reservoir fishing, and we didn't have a means to catch/keep the large shad for striper fishing) yesterday. Last night I cleaned up the boat and went out and caught about a dozen 5"-8" shad in about 30 min. Tried to wake up at 7:00am but somehow slept through the constant alarm until 8:45. By 10am I was on the water in my kayak and at my favorite spot.

Within 4 hours I caught 1 shovel (my guess is around 17lbs) and 5 channels.. the largest being too large for me to hold with one hand to photograph and probably over 13lbs. The smallest was still quite large.. no dinks today! (I wear a size 12 shoe so you can kind of judge the size)

It was a great day! Several times I had double runs, missed a few but that's life. I dozed off for a few to wake up to the sound of oncoming downpour. I quickly threw on my Goretex socks, and Frog-tog suit and managed to only be semi drenched by the time I paddled a mile back down river.

Regardless of how the weather changed, it was a great fishing day!

Attached Files:

2. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    Looks like you had a good time, nice fish.

3. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thanks for sharing the pictures! How was the river? Was it moving fast and did it have a lot of debris moving in it ?

4. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Nice fish! Is that a Native Ultimate? I fish out of one myself.

5. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    sweet the gmr is heating up great going rick

6. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    nice fish,thanks for sharing

7. SVTFisherman

SVTFisherman New Member

State:
    Ohio - West Chester
    Yep it is a native ultimate! I love it! The skeg is messed up but I'll work on that soon. I have two rod holders right behind me, and absolutely love the feel of the boat when a fish hits.. the whole thing shakes a bit before the clickers run.

The river was actually pretty peaceful. I haven't been out yet, so I was pretty worn out when I got done paddling the mile up river. The carp were jumping all over and actually were kind of annoying. A group of 5-6 smashed into my boat.. before I realized what was happening I was thinking a huge snapper or a tree from up river was hitting me.

Thanks for all the replies!

8. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Nice catch !!!!!!!!!!:cool2:

9. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I got my rod holders mounted in the same place, I love it. I have never had a more comfortable or satisfying fishing experience in my life then in my ultimate. Now I just need to land something over 50lbs and see how that works out. Maybe I will see you out paddling around, mine is the same color as yours.

10. SVTFisherman

SVTFisherman New Member

State:
    Ohio - West Chester
    Where are you located? I'm near Cincinnati in West Chester. If anything it'd be fun to explore some new areas. I mounted an AA battery fish finder in mine. Where did you get yours from? I got mine from D&D Outfitters. I need to get the paddle holders for the side. Wish we could use 3 poles in Ohio.. a 3rd one straight in front of me on the cross beam would be GREAT!

11. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I am actually in Cincinnati myself, I live down in the Clifton/Gaslight area. I got mine as a demo from a place up in New York. I got a fish finder but I never put it in the yak :) I have the Bow/Stern skirts on mine, they are great because they also double as paddle holders. I talked to the guy at D&D and he said he isn't carrying them any longer. If you want to get out in the yaks and explore some time let me know, I am alway up for some fishing.

12. just/cats

just/cats New Member

State:
    ohio
    hello--HELLO---
    i live in sharrenville..would like to go with you two with my sq-back...
    i do like fishing small rivers but i use two 6500 on a 10'cat rods or two 6000 on a 7' boat rods...
    did anyone ripe off your car when you was up there??I was told it happens all the time up there...

13. SVTFisherman

SVTFisherman New Member

State:
    Ohio - West Chester
    Welcome to the board Just/Cats. I haven't had any problems with leaving my truck when I go fishing... When I'm in Hamilton I am always concerned, but haven't seen nor had any problems occur to me. I'd suggest just use common sense, don't leave anything unlocked or where anyone can get anything. Another plus, is that schools are not out yet...