Great Miami River July 27...ODE TO STINK BAIT

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by Catfish-fever, Jul 27, 2009.

1. Catfish-fever

Catfish-fever New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I went fishing at my spot on the GMR last night. I had night crawlers, live goldies and 2 kinds of dip bait(sunny's and Junnies). When I got there, someone else was fishing and he had live gills livers and some other types of bait. He said he had been there for about 2 hours and not even a bit. The bit has been really slow at that spot for a while. Around 11 I got a bit on the stink bait and pulled in about a 3 pound channel. The next bite came arround 11:30 and it was a dink. But between 11 and 2 the bite was really fast. I caught 12 channels in that time and most of them was around 3 pounds. The changing factor.... somewhere between 10 and 11 the flow of the river increased.

2. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    The past 3 nights I've gone out on the GMR they absolutely tore apart cut bait. We went out last night and caught one big channel, around 10 - 12 pounds. It was weird, fishing our spot where we know it's usually producing flatheads, nothing took it last night. We had a huge variety too from goldfish, bluegills, and shad.

I think with the river dropping the flathead moved out of that spot and in came the gar - because our bait was getting robbed all night.

Guess we should have used stinks and livers!

3. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Bryan congrats on a really good night out fishing an catching some nice channels.

4. cudadustin

cudadustin New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, OHIO

When those gar start in we throw on big trebbles and set it deep in the bait. It seems like we can't shake those rotten fish no matter where we go. They are hard to hook but boy do they put on a show. More often than not you fowl hook them. That might explain the big fight. Check out the picture. We catch them like this all the time.

Attached Files:

5. mbill

mbill New Member

State:
    Midvale Ohio
    Hey congrats on a good night of fishing. I hope I dont sound clueless and I see it here alot but what does GMR stand for.

6. Catfish-fever

Catfish-fever New Member

State:
    Ohio
    GMR= Great Miami River