Great Miami River info needed

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by tbull, Jun 18, 2007.

1. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I have been wanting to for a while, and Friday I am planning on hitting the GMR. I have never fished it before, and don't really know where you can fish at. Its such and long river, there has to be a ton of spots, I just wanted to know which ones are open to the public? Thanks in advance for the info.

2. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Dont know that river that well, good luck finding info.

3. jmjackson333

jmjackson333 New Member

State:
    Spencer, O
    Yeah. Me too, My brother bought a dairy farm in Logan county. He owns about a half mile of Great Miami River bank, about three miles south of Indian Lake. I checked it out, but most of it looked pretty shallow, and rock bottom. Can anyone tell me if there are cats that far upriver?

4. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    There are channel cats down there.

5. Spencer_Blanton

Spencer_Blanton New Member

State:
    Franklin, Ohio
    TBull,

You are right. It is a big river. I am not familiar with the river north of Miamisburg nor south of Middletown, but in between I know of several public spots. Would that help you or are you in the Cincinnati or Dayton extremes?

Spencer

6. dogcat

dogcat New Member

State:
    Dayton Area Ohio
    Hit some holes in Tipp City Sunday right near the bridge. A guy had about a 5 lb flattie when we got there. My buddy tore up the channels on chubs and just chub heads drifting from rapids into relatively shallow holes. I ended up with a 10 inch largemouth at 3 PM after fishing since 8:30. TJ caught a total of 10 or so channels and a nice bronze back smallie about 15 inches. Channels are on in that area, I haven't been south to the Miamisburg area where the flatties were on a few weeks ago lately. Been away with G/F too much to be online here, must move internet to G/F's place. I love having 2 fishing licenses, one from Ohio and the other from G/F anytime I want. I take her and the kids often but when it's on, I am out there and having a ball. Have landed, Mark showed up with net too late, an 8 lb 8 ounce flattie as well as several smaller since morel season ended and my the ones that tied up in logs and rocks that I had to cut power pro...who knows??? :)

7. bigfish08

bigfish08 New Member

State:
    ohio
    where abouts do you live.. any where around west carrolton spillway is public, there are alot of big flats but alot of pressure and i mean alot,, most of the best spots you can only get to from some kind of boat, thats a canoe for me,, you have to do some scouting cause good spots are kept secret on the gmr. any where from west carrolton to the ohio is awsome!! good luck

8. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    sorry guys I guess posting where I live would make since huh? I live in Batavia right outside cincinnati. We are thinking of hitting up Shawnee Lookout, or in the colerain area. Definatley have to do some scouting. Like I said this is my first time there, the only reason I say Shawnee Lookout is that its a state park and I am sure there is fishing access, but that seems to easy so I am sure there isnt much of a bite there. I am pretty much fair game from the Hamilton or Harrison area, all the way down to Shawnee lookout.

9. hungoalie

hungoalie New Member

State:
    ohio
    there are some ballfields along emiamiriver rd that have shore fishing but they get packed at night. n and s of harrison rd in the miamitown area. some flats but mostly channels and carp. John

10. Ol Whiskers

Ol Whiskers New Member

State:
    Fairfield Township, Ohio
    Tbull,

You'll need to scout out a couple spots on the GMR. The further south you go on the river, the bigger the flatheads and channels, and at Shawnee you might pick up a few blues off the OR. Up East Miami River Rd there are a couple parks: Heritage Eggleston and Dravo (new name but I can't remember) near BlueRock Rd in Colerain Township On the west side you can find spots along SR128. You can get to other spots but most access points are private property so check it out before you settle in. There's a spot down in Miamitown that I've been looking at on Terraserver but have not had a chance to get to yet. Further north, there's the 2 dams in Hamilton, where there are usually good catchees on channels and flats, as well as saugeye and SM.

Dennis

11. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Thank you all for your help I really appreciate it. I think we are going to start at Eggleston and work our way down if there is no bite. Hope to see some of you out there. Again thank you !!

12. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have heard a couple people talking about the dam in Hamilton. Are there places to bank fish there easily?

13. rookie

rookie New Member

State:
    Mt. Healthy, Ohio
    Have they dredged out shawnee lookout yet? Last time I was down there we ha d topull the boat back out because the water was only 18 inches deep.

14. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Yes you can bank fish around either dam. I have not heard of to many cats being caught at the upper dam but they do catch them at the lower one just south of the Columbia Bridge.