Great Miami River - Gonna give it a shot.....

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by Salmonid, Feb 28, 2007.

1. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    With heavy rain and winds forecasted for tomorrow, I am gonna try to get my house chores done and squeeze in a short trip to the GMR near Dayton for some Channels, I figur eits my last chance to get one in Feburary this year, ( trying to get some every month of the year like last year) February has been a tough month here but I can't stand it any longer, have shad getting thawed as i write this and will call Dinkbuster to see if he wants to join me a little later after temps rise above 21 ( now temp) but supposed to get up to 45. GMR crested 1.5 days ago about 4 ft high but is now falling and only about 2.5 feet high so all the ice and debrie should be gone.

Will post any results later tonight or tomorrow around noon if I end up not being able to go today and will squeeze it in tomorrow morning, dont forget folks, Tomorrow is the day you will need a new 2007 Ohio License.

Salmonid

2. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Good luck, have to stick close to home because of work or would try and meet up with ya.

3. james_s333

james_s333 New Member

State:
    byesville,ohio
    good luck.....i have been tring to catch something here at the muskingum river with no luck.....but i dont have a boat to get to the holes that i figured are holding some fish....

4. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Well, Im back I got out for about 2 hrs of fishing, weather was pretty nice considering.
    Here is what I learned:
    Why bring rod holders when the ground is still frozen solid....
    Trying to break logs frozen to the bank to use as rod holders is tough to do
    Sitting in snow gets your butt wet and cold
    sometimes even 4 oz wont hold the cut shad to the bottom
    All river ice is gone, even in the backwaters
    In high water I couldnt find the low water eddy I was trying to locate
    Fished 5 spots for about 15-20 minutes each, ( drove 2 places)
    4 of the 5 were new spots, last spot ( one ive caught winter fish from in the past)which I was hoping for a fish from, blanked me
    Everyone else had the same idea, saw 5 others at the first spot all casting jigs for saugeyes( no one caught any)
    At 2nd spot ran into some pickle lickers,( they kept asking if I was "Dink"?????) :eek:oooh: bluegill fisherman and some crappie folks

Not a hit, not a tap , not even any weeds on the line....
    Next time though , Ill be able to hit a better known spot and Im pretty sure I can get some there, tomorrow I might get out again and try these better spots. I do plan to throw the cast net tomorrow and at least try to get a few shad, the frozen ones i used today were pretty mushy

Salmonid

More later

5. cats gone wild

cats gone wild Member

State:
    canal winchester, ohio
    Mark,even though you did'nt catch anything, it's still nice to get out. I would like get a trip in but I started a boat remodelling project. Basically I tore out everything to redo the inside. I spend more time sitting and starring at it than getting anything done. The picture I had in my mind is'nt transferring as well as I had hoped.:crazy: I'm planning to start hitting the Muskingum at the end of March, weather permitting. And if I get the boat done!!!