Great Miami River Flatheads

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by pescador, Jun 27, 2008.

1. pescador

pescador New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Me and my buddies have been fishing different parts of the GMR and all we have been catching are channel cats and some small shovelheads, we were wondering if anyone has been pulling out any big shovels (20 lbs +) out this year. We have mainly been fishing in the hamilton area

Thanks,
    Elgin

2. pescador

pescador New Member

State:
    Ohio
    let me know how tou guys are doing on the GMR

3. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I dont fish the GMR, But I know alot who do.

they catch some good flats, but are very secrative about giving locations away, because of the huge ammount of fishing pressure the bmr gets.

4. pescador

pescador New Member

State:
    Ohio
    thanks flathunter, its been hard to find a good spot on the GMR because of the rain and im tired of catching little catfish, i just want to hook into a big shovelhead

5. david.lay25

david.lay25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    just a couple of small ones 4-10 lb s ,just north of downtown dayton.using live bluegill 2- 5 inch.

6. chubbahead

chubbahead Member

State:
    Ohio
    This year hasn't been that good on the GMR. It's been high water most of spring and now into summer. There have been a few big ones caught that I know of. But the big fish number is way lower than the last couple years. Like Jack said, the river is fished a ton and anyone who catches a good one most likely won't report it. The consequences could be devastating to your spot.

7. catfishking35

catfishking35 New Member

State:
    ohio
    i fish in the hamilton area and i havent seen a fish caught out of there more than 10 lbs. I caught a 3ft gar though at the second dam

8. SVTFisherman

SVTFisherman New Member

State:
    Ohio - West Chester
    Earlier this spring I caught two over 25lbs from my Kayak, and tons of very nice LARGE channel cats. There have been a few shovels in the 5-10lb range as well. I haven't gone out much since the rivers finally calmed down again.

I am beginning to think that the Ohio River will be a bit more productive.. but as I am used to fishing known structure in smaller water, the big water intimidates me a bit.

Chris

9. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    The water has been to high for me to get to some of my good spots this year so far. Seems like it has rained every two days all spring. I do know some people are catching a few. Last year I got two flats out of the GMR over 20lbs. The river does get a lot of catfishermen.

10. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Everytime I feel like I get on a place that is working mother nature steps in and washes it all away and I have to find a new spot.

11. TheRiverRat

TheRiverRat New Member

State:
    Hamilton,Ohio
    i have been doing very well there i cought a 27 lber a 24 lber and a 22 lber there all in the same week

12. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    i have gotten a shovelhead around 5lb and 12 lb south of miamisburg but that all i did get a 20 lb carp last month working that shovelhead:smile2:

13. odog127

odog127 New Member

State:
    ohio
    I have found it best in between the dams. I was talking to one of my coworkers tonight and he said he has been catching woppers 20 to 40 lb ranges just north of joyce park were the bend is past the waste water plant. He won't tell me the excact location he just tells me the general area. I know that area well but have not fished it this year. hoping to get a nice weekend again so I can give it my all.

14. bigman44

bigman44 New Member

State:
    ohio
    yeah, i know that spot i think. went to try and fish it and when i came back to my car someone had broken into it and stole 4 of my poles... 250 bucks out the window.. literally.

and we didnt get any either

15. ohiocattin15

ohiocattin15 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    where is the most northern ramp at on the GMR?

16. catfishking35

catfishking35 New Member

State:
    ohio
    i caught a 20lb shovelhead the other day in the gmr around hamilton

17. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I believe the most northern ramp would be he one at Indian Lake where the GMR starts. After that one the net one I see on my map is in Troy. I am not from that area so maybe there is one not showing on the map I have if so I'm sure someone who lives up that way can correct me. I hope that can help you.