Great Miami River flathead catfish

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by bigfish08, Jul 11, 2007.

1. bigfish08

bigfish08 New Member

State:
    ohio
    does anyone do any good flathead fishing the gmr from middletown to hamilton. kinda getting tired of all the fishing pressure above middletown. just wondering if the stretch is any good. thanks, larry

2. kory

kory New Member

State:
    Fairfield, Ohio
    i fished with beetle one day in hamilton, just up river from the first dam. i fish more down river usually, just follow river road down and look for pull offs or parks and look around. My main spot is at eggleton park, technically in colerain i believe. I'm out of town this weekend camping, but one of these weekends when i'm back we can go some night.

3. DELLIS

DELLIS New Member

State:
    OHIO
    Hamilton is a wash it seems this year used to always catch something put its so heavily fished i have only seen a couple so anything in between combs and the damn by kbights bridge forget about it

4. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Larry I have not fished a lot of places north of Hamilton. Most of my spots are south of Hamilton. I have fished around the dam at Rentschler Park and under the bridge at Liberty Fairfield Rd. I caught good numbers of Flats and Channels but nothing over 15lbs. You can fish around the bridge at 73 outside of Trenton but I have not tried that spot yet. There does seem to be a lot more people cat fishing the GMR this year. I have only been skunked a couple of times this year most times I will catch a few.

5. bigfish08

bigfish08 New Member

State:
    ohio
    hmmm.. alot of fishing pressure huh.. sounds like up here,, i may take a canoe trip from middletown to hamilton and check it out and see if i cant find any light pressure areas. ya kory that might work i could fish with you down your way and i could take you around my area.

6. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I take back what I said, there are NO catfish in the GMR from Hamilton south!LOL! Everyone should fish the Little Miami River...yea that's where all the big cats are!LOL...and no fishing pressure either!:big_smile:

7. bigfish08

bigfish08 New Member

State:
    ohio
    thanks for the tip beetle, how big are these cats, do i need to step it up from 20/0 gama octapuses, 2 pound weights, and small ducks? havent had alot of experience on those LMR flatties...lol:smile2:

8. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    All of the above Larry!:smile2: That's why people are not catching the really big ones!

9. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp New Member

State:
    OH
    I think it's a bit of a generalization but from my experience, the further south you go, the better luck you'll have. There's more river, bigger fish, and typically less people fishing. Again...all from my own experience.

10. Cburch9

Cburch9 New Member

State:
    Hamilton
    Gmris pretty good for cats really vie cought up to 35 pounders

11. Cburch9

Cburch9 New Member

State:
    Hamilton
    I've seen caught* my biggest personally is 15

12. TheRiverRat

TheRiverRat New Member

State:
    Hamilton,Ohio
    Although the GMR is very abundent with flatheads it lacks deep water and heavy log jams most of its way, this i beleive is the cause for its small fish size. the biggest i have even heard of is 35lbs. GO TO THE OHIO ITS NOT FAR AWAY. THATS WHERE THE BIG CATS LAY............RAT

13. daytimedrifter

daytimedrifter New Member

State:
    Indiana
    thats not so true, me and my buddy took his son to the gmr and the boy caught one 53 and my buddy sent me a pic earlier in the day of a 72 he had got in a spot a little further up from there in the gmr.

14. Cburch9

Cburch9 New Member

State:
    Hamilton
    And were r these spots at????!
    Haha

15. TheRiverRat

TheRiverRat New Member

State:
    Hamilton,Ohio
    PICS?? (fish tale me thinks)..........RAT

16. mr.seaark77

mr.seaark77 New Member

State:
    ohio
    i used to fish the gmr all the time but not for the last 5 years because i now fish the ohio river but there are some good flats in there my biggest flat out of there is 47 and many in the 20 and 30 pound range the gmr is a good place too fish it just trying to find access to some good spots thats not fished to death.

17. bigfish08

bigfish08 New Member

State:
    ohio
    i dont know if we fish the same gmr rat? no deep water or log jams? i know of plenty of 20 foot deep holes and log jams that have been in the same place for several years you gotta have a boat to access the stuff though.. and they hold plenty of big flats you just have to fish for them.. like the dude said a couple of years ago who pulled a 57 and posted pics on here, big bait big fish.. i couldnt tell you how many times ive laughed at myself for using some huge baits only to catch a 20 lber on it. gotta have an appealing bait where the big ones are.. and there is no shortage of them in the great miami. i think of it in deer hunting terms.. if you hunt this part of state you know the deer density might not be like south east ohio but countless monster bucks are taken each year in the area.. we all know theyre there they just get big for darn good reason and the same goes for flats..