Great Miami River Flathead Catfish Report - 4/11/06

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by Salmonid, Apr 12, 2006.

1. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Met up with Dinkbuster in his boat again (Thanks) and headed out on this bright sunny and WINDY day, we each had a dozen or so smaller bluegills, Green sunfish and pumpkinseeds and so we were in the quest of the elusive Flathead!! Tried a few places but the wind blew us all around so we moved from spot to spot until we decided we would just hit one of the deeper holes that was protected from the wind. Since we were after flatheads, we focused on the deepest hole in the whole stretch ( almost 20 ft deep) and had 3 rods with live gills on and 1 rod with cut shad. The water was murky and about 58 degrees so we should have been ok, but Dink kept reminding me that the Barometer was dropping and it was gonna be tough and he called it right!! we fished from about 5:15pm till 9:15pm and didnt get the first hit until about 8:30 and Mike landed a nice bluegill taken channel of 6.25 lbs if I remember right, then we waited as it got dark and still nothing, not even little pecks. We were just about to call it quits when I finally got a nice tap tap on the rod and managed to get and land another nicer fish at about 9:15 PM and it was taken on a shad head, it was a nice channel of 7lb 4 oz and we wrapped it up right after that for the night. It turns out the Barometer had leveled off around 9:00 and was startingt o rise so maybe we should have stayed....Oh well, hind sight...It was a gorgeous night and we had the pleasure of watching a few nice scantily clad members of the opposite sex roller bladers go by and also had a beaver milling about about a 100 feet from us all night,neat to watch

I have a smaller picture but it wont let me upload?? says invalid file, can someone get it loaded on here for me? ( Bryan, Mike??)

Now regarding the Flathead report, there are no, let me repeat NO Flatheads in the GMR;) ;)

Salmonid

2. tanner

tanner New Member

State:
    Somerset, Kentucky
    email me the file to tannermorrow@gmail.com and i'll fix it up for you.

3. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    At least ya got a kittie of some sorts, LMAO. Maybe leave Dinkbuster at home next time, he is not having best of luck this year. hehehe

4. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Lets try this picture. Thanks Tanner!!

Attached Files:

5. tanner

tanner New Member

State:
    Somerset, Kentucky
    you're welcome sir! and nice fish!

6. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Nice channel cat Mark, I am sure you will get on the flatheads soon.

7. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Thanks Jack, Im counting in you and Mellon to have some good results from this weekend!! Go Get EM!! We need some good flathead posts here and it should start happening here anyday now!
    My money is on Bryan getting the big fish this weekend but you to get more weight total:p

Salmonid

8. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Nice channel you got there, congrats on the catch.

9. chubbahead

chubbahead Member

State:
    Ohio
    That's a nice channel Mark. I am going to try to get out Friday afternoon and do some fishing til after dark. I have yet to fish this year much past sunset. I'd like to stay til maybe midnight or so. Unfortunately, the stretch of river I fish holds very few flatheads, so if I were to catch any, it would be mostly luck.