Great Miami River Channel catfish

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by Salmonid, Dec 11, 2007.

1. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    High water channels

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

With the warm weather this afternoon, got out for a little over 2.5 hrs and caught some channels on the GMR. Was in South Dayton fishing some wood in current areas and found a few fish behind the structures since the water was up about 3 ft. lots of trash in the water and quite breezy but the takes were pretty good, I hooked 4, landed 3, same rig as last couple of times, a 3 way , 2 oz peanut and 6/0 gama circles on a 6 ft medium action rod with a Abu 5000 loaded with Big game 20 lb. All fish on Frozen cut bait.

Pics below...also note on the middle picture , the dimples on the side of the fish, all 3 had them visable but this one turned out well, I assume these are taste buds that are highly in tune with the high water. anyone else have any theories on this?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Better get out while you can before Ole Man Winter shows up for good...The fish are still biting..:wink:

Salmonid

2. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    good catch mark, glad you enjoyed the nice weather today. it was pretty warm out there.. i would keep targeting them channels as long as you can bear the cold. i usually catch them 12 months out of the year. if they do slow up, it seems like it only takes a couple days of warmer weather and they are hitting again. they are aggressive feeders.. good luck, thanks for the post..rollo

3. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    nice fish thank you for posting

4. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    man them are some nice pics. i WILL be out this weekend both sat and sun no doubt, maybe even friday too. hell, high water, snow, or freezing rain!

5. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Nice fish...i wish I could have gotten out yesterday, instead I made some nice rod holders out in the shop with warm weather and a few cold ones...:big_smile: I will be heading out Sunday come He$% or High water, gonna stick to the bank and fish my favorite warm water discharge. Can't wait! Thanks for posting:wink:

6. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    Looks like some nice fish Mark. I would have liked to get out, after I talked to you and found out the ramp was closed, I went home and took a nap.:smile2:

7. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Nice channels I wonder if they are still hitting good one the GMR over my way. Might have to go out and try it out sometime this week congrats on the catch

8. chubbahead

chubbahead Member

State:
    Ohio
    You've been tearing them up lately Mark!! Keep it up man. I haven't been out since our mini tourney. Let me know if you ever need a partner on the Ohio. :big_smile:

9. fishnohio

fishnohio New Member

State:
    Middletown,Ohio
    well i went out yesterday for about a hour up by the d.p.& l at the falls and froze my tootsies off and never got a bite, had to get my fix to try to hold me over til spring.....Mike

10. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Dont let a little cold weather hold you back...:smile2: Some of the best fishing is done during these cold months:roll_eyes:

11. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio