Great Miami River boat club?

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by beetle, Jan 28, 2007.

1. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I was wondering if anyone was a member or knows about a boat club on the GMR around Woodsdale. I was talking to a ranger at Rentschlerer Park last year and he was telling me about it but he did not know much. I have been trying to find a place around there that a boat could be put in at and he said they had a ramp and that was the only one he new of. Anyone know how to contact them? Or does anyone know another place that has a ramp you can put a boat in at?

Thanks, Beetle

2. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    there is a ramp in west carrolton

3. Ol Whiskers

Ol Whiskers New Member

State:
    Fairfield Township, Ohio
    Beetle,

It's called the Hamilton Boat Club. If you go down the lane to Rentschler Park, and go right at the bottom instead of left, there's a sign. Don't know any particulars. I've seen a number of boats on the river above the dam at Rentschler, and they go down the canal as well. You might find them in the local phonebook, but probably have to know someone.

Dennis

4. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thanks Dennis, I have checked the phone books but I can not find anything on them. I have fished that area and had some good luck there. But the park closes at night as does the area by the bridge at Woodsdale.
    No one seems to want to let any one fish there, the ranger said they have "the boat club" a lock on that part of the river and canal and want to keep it private.

RiverKing, I do not think I could get back down to that part of the river from Dayton because of how shallow the river gets in places.

5. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i contacted them a couple years ago trying to get access to their ramp, man that is an awesome stretch of river! they said it was for members only and they have no openings for new members and have a huge waiting list:sad2: i have a number if you wanna try but i'm sure you will get the same response as i did, they acted like i was bothering them by calling. now i just found out that Rentschler park is planning on building a ramp at the park this year, however, as you know they have the whole "Fear of the dark" thing going on and like most all "Metro-Parks" are not very fisherman friendly.

6. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Mike where did you hear about the ramp at the park? The ranger I talked to in Oct. said that the park tried to get approval to put in a ramp for patrol and emergency purposes and the "club" was fighting them in the courts. The ranger said they like having the control of that stretch of the river and for rangers or sheriff to get in they must use the club ramp (with advanced notice if you know what I mean). I have talked to some of the home owners around there who have tried to put in their own ramp and have been stopped. The park does have a canoe launch area there, you can launch a boat there if it can be carried from the parking area. And you have the closed at night thing to deal with.

7. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i dont see how you can stop an individual property owner, or even a Park District from putting in a ramp on their own property to a Public Waterway! that kinda crap gets me steaming!:angry: there is a really great pool of the GMR in Dayton where the University of Dayton has exclusive rights at this moment to use it, the word is they influenced the park district to close the public ramp on it. just another case of a local government "of and for the people" succombing to the influence of the private sector and denying US our rights. i sure hope Butler County park district wins (should be a no-brainer!)that battle! i was at Rentschler yesterday (1-27-07), the attendant at the booth where you pay told me about the ramp.

8. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    I hate to say it but you guys got it bad down there. Why can't the state or city put in a ramp? Cause some high and mighty club says they can't? I really feel for you guys. Around here we're getting more state ramps or city ramps on the river every couple years.

9. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Skip, what happened is a lot of big dollar houses went into this are along the river and the people with the money also have the right political connections, add those two together and its easy to see why this has happened, the big money folks want there piece of seclusion on the river and the local govt officials are afraid to breach that area for the sake of the riff raff and picklers the river ramps bring with it. Not to mention the folks would be concerned with theft and the loss of privacy but in reality there afraid to look out the back window and see my really ugly smurf boat, that alone would certainly bring down the real estate values....

This just makes me want to buy a riverfront spot there and put in a free ramp... power to the people my brothers!!
    Salmonid

10. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    sent them an e-mail last night asking about "the ramp", here is the response:sad2: "Mr. Davis,

Although the park district has discussed having a boat ramp at
    Rentschler Forest Preserve, I do not believe that we will see that
    happen in 2007.

We appreciate your interest in the park and welcome your comments
    regarding the development of additional features in the park.

Thank you.

Rhonda Smith, Administrative Assistant
    MetroParks of Butler County

11. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Dink did you do any fishing there sat. or just checking the place out?

12. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    just stopped by on my way back from bass pro shops. hadnt been there in a long time, wanted to get out and walk around to see how things might have changed over the past few years after the floods but that $3 entry fee changed my mind:confused2: yes we here in Ohio often have to PAY to visit a park!:angry:

13. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    that's rough guys. I doubt they would let any private land owner put in a ramp. But do you guys know any private land owners that would let u launch? we used to have a spot around here that did not have a ramp and had some excellent crappie fishing. My dad used to go and a guy just let him launch off the bank. If it was muddy or anything dad would use the tractor to launch, caught some excellent fish, they really can't stop you from launching as long as u don't use a ramp.

Riverking, your pic isn't from Tanners Creek is it? Dang, it's sad i can tell that :big_smile: