Great Miami River Blues????

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by bbreitenstein, Sep 16, 2008.

1. bbreitenstein

bbreitenstein New Member

State:
    Miami Township, OH
    I have heard rumors that guys have caught blues from the GMR as far north as Moraine. I also was told by someone at a bait shop in Hamilton that there are blue's in the area around the last low dam in hamilton. I guess the best way to prove this is to fish for them in a spot that may hold a blue. I live in Dayton and spend a lot of time at the low dam across from the power plant in Miamisburg/franklin area. I have also fished a spot near the middletown airport. One of these days I want to try the old low dam on 73. I have had a great year catching channels. I also caught a 8pound shovelhead on Magic Bait. My biggest channel was about 9 pounds and I caught it on magic bait also. I have fished with live goldfish and have caught channel cats on them. Last week I caught a 2 pound shovelhead on a medium goldfish. I really want to get into some blue fishing here soon.

2. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    welcome to the boc

3. david.lay25

david.lay25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    i have a friend who swore to me he caught a blue cat last week in dayton under the bridge of needmore rd. i guess anything is possible its all connected.

4. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    I have heard rumors about there being blues in the GMR. For me i have never personally seen one or caught one out of the GMR. I would say if there is any they are down closer to the ohio river.

5. chubbahead

chubbahead Member

State:
    Ohio
    There are some blues up until the first hamilton dam. After that, there are no natural blues. Any blue someone might catch, is either a paylock "relocation", or a channel. Almost gauranteed a channel though.

6. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I agree, I don't doubt that there is a blue or two in the lower section of the river, but after you get above the first dam its not likely. It sure would be neat if there were a high number of blues in there, but it you really are interested in blue fishing, you need to head down to the big river where they are plentiful.

7. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    anything is possible remember that geese and also migrate north from the south from the Mississippi river ohio river or one of the tva lake there could have brought blue catfish eggs north as well that could be another point here also but more thank likely i agree it is a transplant from a paylake rick

8. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    best thing for those who want blue close to dayton paylake or fish the gmr south of the first Hamilton dam best chance otherwise the ohio river

9. dogcat

dogcat New Member

State:
    Dayton Area Ohio
    I have spoke to 3 different fishers I had never met before the past couple of weeks, 1 I later learned I have no reason to disbeleive, the others less credible that have caught one between Franklin and Dayton. My .02, but I want to see one first. One of the fellows was talking about silver channels vs. regular channels so the credibilty factor dropped on that one. He claimed it was near downtown Dayton low head about 3 weeks ago.

10. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Let's all hope there is some natural migration occurring in these waters, that would make for some spectacular fishing!

11. Silverwmark

Silverwmark New Member

State:
    Ohio
    A friend of mine who fishes the GMR said he caught a blue and took it to someone from the ODNR and he confirmed it to be a blue. However, I have always understood there are no blues this far north in the GMR. (north of Hamilton) It musta been a released fish. I think a lot of people catch a nice channel and think it is a blue.
    On another note, I can't believe the flats won't start up here soon, rain or not. My other fishing partner (no, not you dogcat...) caught a 25lb flat last Sat night and said it was the skinniest flat he'd ever caught..... Scott and I will give it a go on Wed night, throw everything at 'em but the kitchen sink...

12. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    location location, prostreetS10 has been doing well with the flatties this year on the GMR, if you are not having much luck, I would fish farther down river closer to the Ohio.

13. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    with the migration of ducks and geese from the south very possible for blues to be in the gmr they are in the Missouri in south dakota and nebraska why not their blue catfish eggs be attached to a duck and geese feet migrate to the Great Miami why not Hamilton low dams does not migrating water fowl rick:smile2:

14. Montgomery

Montgomery New Member

State:
    OHIO
    cant fish get past low heads . when the river is raging or just highly flooded ?? i have always wondered this ..