Great Miami River 13 May

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by Ol Whiskers, May 14, 2007.

1. Ol Whiskers

Ol Whiskers New Member

Fairfield Township, Ohio
    First time out since April 7th. Beautiful evening and had just a few hours to fish. That last flood rerouted the GMR and changed our hole again, this time for the good. My son and I had out live and frozen gills, shad, and chubs, and it loooked like we were going to take a skunkin' until the sun went behind the trees. I lost the first one when a brand new spool of line parted in the middle on a hookset. He took a nice channel on frozen shad that was very fat - weighed a shade over 13 lbs. I had a run, then stop, then slack, and the the fish was coming back towards me a full clip. Managed to pick up line and set the hook in the first 2007 flattie, about 8 lbs, on crushed chub. Several more runs until about 10:30, but no takers. Both fish CPR'd. River was at 2310cfs, and about 7 inches up. Water was pretty clear, which explains the late bite. All in all, an excellent evening.

Attached Files:

2. beetle

beetle New Member

Congratulations on the fish! That is a real nice channel cat. I went out a for a couple of hours during the day Friday to try the boat out. I went out of Combs park. I caught one Flathead 9lbs-3oz and missed a couple. The bites are short, at least to me they are. They would hit make a quick run and that would be it. I have not tried fishing at night yet but I have caught a cat every time out so far this year during the day in the GMR. I hope it keeps up. Maybe I'll see you out on the water one day...good luck the rest of the year.

3. Jammer

Jammer New Member

Good report, thanks for all the details.