Great leapin Spoonbills Batman!!!!

Discussion in 'LOCAL OKLAHOMA TALK' started by Brian D, Jul 12, 2009.

1. Brian D

Brian D New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Saturday morning my stepson , nephew and myself went to Kerr lake for some catfishin at our favorite honeyhole.We caught 6 keeper blues from 1-7 lbs.We kept noticing fish jumpin in front of us.I am thinking carp and gar,so I dont pay much attention.Then a spoonbill between 5-6 feet long cleared the water in front of me,WOW!!!!!!.This show lasted about a hour and a half.WE were all blown away.Has anybody ever witnessed this before?I wish i would have had a camcorder for proof to the nay sayers.Still an awesome expereince for me and the kids in the great outdoors of oklahoma.We saw spoonies from 2 ft long to the size of the monster I saw early.

2. 320hotrod

320hotrod New Member

State:
    KCMO
    I've only seen that once before, and that was only one fish, one jump. Can't imagine why they be doing that, but I'm sure it was a sight to see!

3. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    Same thing was happening on Ft Gibson Saturday. After we set our noodles out we went to a small cove to catch bait and we could see them all along the river channel. To bad they don't jump like that when you hook one.

4. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I've seen them jumping on Grand like that in the summer. No idea why they do this though? Playin leap frog maybe.:smile2:

5. 89Ricky89

89Ricky89 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Wow! That would've been great to see! It's amazing the things you can see when you are out with the kids...memories!

6. riverratokie

riverratokie New Member

State:
    Collinsville Oklahoma
    Saw the same on Oologah yesterday!

7. brownie

brownie Member

State:
    Bartlesville, O
    Saw them on Grand lake jumpin' out near sailboat bridge.

8. catgetter1

catgetter1 New Member

State:
    louisiana
    I've seen this quite a bit on the Red River here in Weeeezeeana mostly on the oxbows, my buddies and I call 'um fresh water Marlin, really a sight ta see 'cause some of them are really huge..... Scare the dickins outta ya when they jump really close to the boat....:cool2:

9. LazyBum

LazyBum New Member

State:
    East Tulsa, Okl

I have seen some mighty big ones pulled out of the water up at Gibson dam. Lotta guys set there snagging them...

10. South Grand Laker

South Grand Laker New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    i see them quite reguraly doing this in the summer on Grand