Great day on the water!

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by riverrat85, Jun 26, 2008.

1. riverrat85

riverrat85 New Member

State:
    Ruma, Illinois
    Had an extra vacation day left and had to use it up by tomorrow so i figured id hit the water this morning. Me and denise hit baldwin and i caught my pb for the lake. Got a question though, im pretty sure this is a channel but not very sure cuz ive never caught a channel this big. Fish was definetely over 20#:big_smile: blue or channel help me out guys!

Attached Files:

2. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    congrats. looks like a channel to me.

3. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Its so hard to tell those fish at Baldwin... without the spots on it, i'd say it is channel. That's all I know how to call it. Wish there was a better cheat sheet to tell them apart.

Almost looks like the blue I threw back!

4. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Anal fin looks pretty straight.. more straight than rounded... so that would lead me to believe it is indeed a blue.

I suck at telling the difference though.

5. riverrat85

riverrat85 New Member

State:
    Ruma, Illinois
    yeah he was definetely someones heartbreak. found a hook with line in his throat so someone broke off while tryin to land this beast. looks like it was 6lb test too. darn bass fishermen :wink:

6. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    Nice fish Travis! Brian and I are hitting Baldwin tomorrow. I'm bringing some cut Asian carp to see how it works.

7. riverrat85

riverrat85 New Member

State:
    Ruma, Illinois
    good luck tomorrow! found our fish right off the penninsula on the drop offs! bluegill heads are the way to get em right now!

8. riverrat85

riverrat85 New Member

State:
    Ruma, Illinois
    be careful using that asian carp. they might not be dead then we'll be dodging those things all over lol im gonna hit the lake again saturday morning bright and early and hopefully get some more bigguns.:wink:

9. rob128146

rob128146 New Member

State:
    Rockwell, North Carolina
    I don't know but I know you can't go by color but color and anal fin looks like a blue to me.:crazy:

10. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Well the bait has been in Aaron's freezer and chopped into chunks... I think it's dead :smile2:

If it isn't.... our fishing lakes are in deep trouble

11. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    i know one thing. if it is a channel, it would definitly take first place in the hall of fame for illinois

12. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Looks like a great fish regardless of what it is. congrats.

13. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Aaron and I went out today... boy am I tired.. the waves were pretty stiff even though their really was not that much wind. Was crazy. water temp was in the 90s!!! Felt more like bath water.

We did catch some good blues... 11lb, 7lb, 9lb, and 4lb... bunch of little dink channels off the asian carp. They couldn't leave it alone! They just beat it to a pulp until they finally hooked themselves. Aaron will probably chime in later to say the size of the fish is all wrong. I think we caught 5 total.

14. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    Man, I am exhausted, too! That sun and heat really take it out of a person. Like Brian said, we caught a few nice ones - the weights sound right but I'm pretty sure there was another one in the 8# range in there. The Asian Carp experiment went well. I did catch one nice blue (I think it was the 9 pounder) on it. The little channels beat the heck out of it all day long. We had our best luck on whole, tiny bluegill.

I noticed a lot of fish on my fishfinder cruising at 12-14 feet, even in 34 feet of water. Brian and I caught 3 of our nice blues within about a 5 minute period (including one double) at about 12 feet on a 9-15 foot dropoff.

15. Dan the Fisherman

Dan the Fisherman New Member

State:
    Ramsey, Illinois
    Nice Blue Travis, That picture with Aaron and Brian's catches, I'm starting to get the fever for a little of the Baldwin blues.You got to love the sound of the blues being played out on a reel. It is music to get the heart a pumpin.:cool2::smile2:

16. catinaldatime

catinaldatime New Member

State:
    Girard, IL
    thats a nice 1,the pic of the fish im holding is a channel out of baldwin,at first he had me stumped to.nice job.

17. massa_blake

massa_blake New Member

State:
    Texas
    Nice fish!!! Looks like a blue to me.

18. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Regardless it looks like a real nice fish. congrats

19. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    i am almost positive that is a male channel. the blues in baldwin that ive seen are unmistakable.

20. riverrat85

riverrat85 New Member

State:
    Ruma, Illinois
    wow i never thought i would beat my pb that i caught on thursday already! what a day on the water! Actually i beat my pb blue three times today! Me and denise caught 10 fish that had well over 100 lbs combined weight! they were biting like there was no tomorrow! heres some pics!

Attached Files: