Great day at the Pass

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by Mi11er, Dec 21, 2008.

1. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    Went hunting yesterday at Grand Pass Conservation Area. Wow, I drew a 4 and got to hunt pool 3. There are 300,000 ducks there and we saw everyone of them:crazy: it was mind boggling the amount of ducks on that place. The ducks are sticking real close to the refuge and when they come off of it they are high:sad2: They did not want to work the dekes at all. But, we didn't have a big hole because there was 4" of ice to break through. I shot 2 mallards and we got 5 total, not real good but, good for the day. No pics because in the morning maylay I forgot the camara:angry::angry:. When we were leaving we found the ducks, just outside the checkin house there was a cornfield that had everybit of 10,000 ducks in it. They were just feet off the road and were rolling over each other to get food. It was worth the trip to see ducks as far as the eye could see.

2. joer

joer New Member

State:
    columbiaMo
    thanks for the info! i'm going to scout some fields today. a buddy told me yesterday that there was ice on the river so my river hunting days may be over for now!:sad2:

3. duckalot

duckalot Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    Good Luck guys, I think I will call it a rap and put things up for the year. I had planed on one more Field hunt this evening, but with temps in the single digits I think I will stay by the fire. It has been a good year though. I will have to look at my calender for a year end total. I always write down a total kill and how many I kill on each hunt. Last year I killed 65 Mallards myself, I think I am going to be shy of that this year.
    To busy at work and not enough days off to hunt. LOL I'm not complaining!
    Happy Holidays
    Duck'

4. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    The biologist at Grand Pass said the birds were not even landing in the open water ( what was there) but landing on the ice and feeding on the corn. The site of all those mallards will be something I will never forget. So, I hope you all can hunt the fields around the river because it will be good.

5. Todd Strong

Todd Strong Active Member

State:
    Cambridge, Ne
    The missouri is pretty well iced up here, Was not able to get out this weekend.:angry:

6. jdward

jdward New Member

State:
    Memphis, TN
    Five ducks seems like a pretty good day to me compared to the season we have been having around here this year:big_smile:. I know what ya mean about just getting to see that many birds at one time! Just getting to see that many birds at one time, duck season or not, is simply amazing!

7. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    I am pretty lucky to live around here. I have the Missouri river 2 miles from the house and Grand Pass 50 min away. I hope your season gets better

8. jdward

jdward New Member

State:
    Memphis, TN
    Thanks man, I'm sure it will. It normally doesn't start getting good around here till after Christmas, when it gets really frozen up there where you're at:wink:.

9. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    Well you are not going to have long to wait! It is pretty locked up here. With the temps at 0 or below at night everything is iced up.