Great day 4/4/09

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by Katatonik, Apr 4, 2009.

1. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    Despite the gusty wind, I think this a great day just to be outside!
    I have the misfortune to be bound inside today and I am curious to
    hear if all you folks have broken away to find that bank on the down
    wind side feeling that wind full in the face waiting on Mr. Whiskers.

2. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Yes, I did Mr.Michael:wink:

3. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    I fished the mouth of creek where it enters Neosho river.There was a real distinct mud line where the current line of the river is.Water in creek was clear and river was rolling.Had two hits but they dropped it and I had to leave early.I will be back its going to happen there.I caught my first cats there about 3 weeks ago.The wind was absolutely roaring overhead but levee protects me when wind from south.

4. delbert bumbleshoot

delbert bumbleshoot New Member

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    Michael you didn't miss anything the wind was gusting to 35 MPH.There were whitecaps and 1 1/2 foot waves. Our boat was swinging around like turd in a whirlpool even with 2 anchors down.They have wiped out the South side channel at the weir dam.Don't know if it's permanent or not.Only caught 1 small fiddler channel cat 1 2lb drum I cut up for bait and 2 Sturgeon. Never caught a sturgeon before they are pretty wild looking.Weatherman was on the crack pipe it rained pretty hard on us.The water needs to come up in the Kaw or nobody will be able to get down there for the tournament on the 18th.Went out on the Missouri and tried a couple of Hillary's to get out of the wind no luck.

Attached Files:

5. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    yes my son an i did went fishing just no catching but it was still an enjoyable day on the boat an river

6. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Michael, yep, we went, and caught:smile2:. Wish I'd have invited you this weekend, but it was kind of a spur of the moment thing. We didn't go till 3pm.
    We sat on the South side of a hill, out of the wind, I was in my truck:wink:, Jerald sat in his chair:smile2:. Caught 3 Blues, should've been five. I lost one about 15' from the shore. We caught a 3.5, 4+ and a 5+ Blue. The lake was really howling, but back in the cove, bout 10 maybe 12 foot deep it wasn't to bad.

7. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    My thinking is that it is permanent, that's why they poured the concrete there in the middle to form the spillway. Just my guess though, the concrete could be the overflow. Time will tell.

You would be surprised what people will run, I know of 2 boats that were going up there when the river was at 8 feet, it was 11 feet yesterday.

8. delbert bumbleshoot

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    Yeah Gary you're dead on I've heard of some guys dragging their boat through that shoal under the 635 bridge. But we got stuck doing it one time.We were lucky to get it back off there. But what happens if you're up there and the water drops like say they are running water at Tuttle and they shut it off.I guess a smaller boat might be an advantage there.That's the only good thing about my little aluminum boat it doesn't draw much water and it has a big ass rear mount trolling motor which comes in handy for running shallow like that.The worst I can do is bust a prop which costs like 30 bucks.

9. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Well you could always just stay up there and fish for a few weeks until the river rises again :smile2:

10. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    The Jo. Co. water intake is on the south side of the river. From what Ive been reading , that is why this whole project is taking place, so when the river is real low in the summer, those big concrete circles will divert the water to the south side so it will only be able to go down the chute. Therefore the water company will be able to draw enough. In the years past they havent been able to draw enough. The riprap rock dam, was leaking alot of water down the north side and in the middle some. When all is said and done, 435 should look alot like Topeka's weir dam.

11. rwg

rwg New Member

State:
    WICHITA, KANSAS
    went over to el dorado on saturday, wind was blowing big time, chickened out on putting the boat on the lake. Went to the dam and caught two 20" wayeye, and a 3 lb wiper all on twister tail jigs it was so windy it blew the minnow bucket over. where's spring gone to? maybe this weekend i've got thursday and friday off. we will give it another try

12. delbert bumbleshoot

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    Looks like they are running way late. They aren't anywhere near done and already a year late.notice the tree huggers get a canoe portage but no mention of a boat ramp or anything.Where's their sense of adventure it ain't that far of a drop.Wussies....Maybe we can build some homeless shanties at their portage so they can help carry the canoes.I always used to consider a 5 -10 foot drop a challenge when I lived in Colorado.We never launched in less than a class 3 rapids out there.