Great Catfising book

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Southernraised84, Aug 16, 2005.

1. Southernraised84

Southernraised84 New Member

State:
    Fayettnam, North Carolina
    Just thought i would let yall know I was in wally-world the other day and picked up a great catfishing book.Now im here in NC and not sure if they have them in every wal-mart but the name of the book is The Freshwater Angler Fishing for Catfish.It was written by Keith B. Sutton.I highly recomend buying this espcially if you are new to catfishing.I will also say that pretty much everything you can find there you can get here but for some it is eaiser to read it in a book and understand the when someone is putting it in there own words and useing words that you dont even know...lol.This book breaks all of it down from tackle to techniques, so i suggest that you give it a look.

2. s_self88

s_self88 New Member

State:
    Shawnee, Kansas
    i think i got that book from the library a couple of years ago. i will probably look for it again now that you reminded me of it.

3. wayne1967

wayne1967 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I don't know if anyone else feels the same but the books and more so the mags tend to repeat the same thing over and over.

4. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    He's a good old boy from Arkansas, and has written several books on catfishing, and a whole bunch of magazine articles. Many of the magazine articles can be read on-line.

5. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Southernraised84, I have that book too, like you say, it's very interesting reading.

6. vacatfish

vacatfish New Member

State:
    bedford virginia
    Keith catfish sutton did the wrighting of that book fishing for catfish.

Been trying to get keith to come here but he don't have much time with wrighting the books and artickles for outdoor mags and stuff like that.

7. Southernraised84

Southernraised84 New Member

State:
    Fayettnam, North Carolina
    I have read several catfish books and mag articles but like i said this is the best one i have read so far. It goes through pretty much everything that you need to know.I say if you are new to it this book is the best way to start(besides the :worship: B.O.C :worship: of course)

8. BCC

BCC New Member

State:
    Cary, NC
    Thanks for the tip on the book. Being a real newbie, this is exactly what I've been looking for. Now that I've gone from working 50-60 hrs/wk. to being disabled, I needed a hobby. My good bubbas here in NC decided catfishing was to be it. Went to Santee-Cooper and that was it!
    Any and all advice is welcome.

9. solomon

solomon New Member

State:
    MS
    I've got that book. Havn't read it yet though. Just browsing through it looked pretty interesting.

10. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Another great book that addresses specific regions is Catfishing the South by Jeff Samsel (I THink).It covers the various lakes and rivers with a very good section devoted to tips and techniques for Santee.

11. rookie

rookie New Member

State:
    Mt. Healthy, Ohio
    I've got that book also. Makes for good reading and is filled with lots of helpful tips for the beginner.

12. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    I have that book. Great book and very interesting.

13. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    i have a book on santee cooper cant think of the name i will dig it up.its still packed up from a recent move. its an older book it covers from when the lake was a river and how alot of older guides helped with some of the clearing, some of the terrain there now. one thing i was shocked to learn was that they bound large bundles of tree together with steel cables and anchored the to the bottom to provide extra cover for fish i know some of you will be interested in this book so i will post the title and auther soon as i unpack it.

14. 98custom

98custom New Member

State:
    Northwest Flori
    how much is that book? I want to get it.

15. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    I have the same book...Freshwater Angler - Fishing for catfish.....as well as Freshwater Angler - Fishing Rivers and Streams. There is a whole series of books put out by them....another one I have is Fish Recipes....and Walleye...as well as advanced Bass fishing. (For catching bait...heh heh heh) They are packed with good information. My favorites are the walleye and the rivers/streams....most of the catfish stuff I had already aquired over 28 years of pursuing catfish...but still a good read none the less. If you wish to see some really technical stuff....check out the In-Fisherman series of books and videos. The In Fisherman magazine is also a fantastic source as well. The In Fisherman books really lay it down...they have a critical concepts book among others that will educate you on advanced catfishing methods and behaviors...also there is an In fisherman series of books about walleye fishing that are very helpful (In case you didnt realize...walleye fishermen and catfishermen are very similar in both technique and fanaticism) I believe it is the #2 book on walleye fishing that goes VERY in depth on the subject of sonar fishfinders and boat positioning. (Drift fishing) They have much more than a casual or basic approach to catfishing, walleye fishing...as well as the behavioral characteristics, sonar, and boat positioning. It would be much more accurate to say they have a more scientific approach than any other book I have read. Regardless of whether or not you like Doug Stange...I understand he is a real ass in person from both people who know him, as well as those that have just casually met him...he IS THE MAN when it comes to fishing technique. It's just too bad he's not a better human being.

16. Redtick

Redtick New Member

State:
    Neoga, Illinois
    I have both the Keith Sutton and the In-Fishermen books in my library. They are worthy additions to anyone's library.
    I also have most of the In-Fishermen's Catfish videos and have a most of their current catfish episodes on the In-Fishermen and Critical Concepts shows recorded and in my video library. They do put out great stuff, you can learn alot from them.
    Doug Stange sure has a good on camera presentation. I have never met him but from his stories about Toad, Toad doesn't seem to be the person that would fish much with an "ass". Most folks I know that are similar to Toad would tell someone like that where to go in a heartbeat. I mean it sounds like Stange and Toad were way off the beaten path by themselves. That is usually not a place to be an "ass" with someone that is bigger than you if you know what I mean.

17. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    Redtick....LMAO...this is true. I'd say you're very correct....out in the boondocks is not the place to be messin' around with someone much bigger than you...especially with a guy who likes to whip up his own batches of stinky catfish baits and could actually dispose of the body. You know the old saying...mess around and mess around...you wont be around.
    Naw...I wouldnt know the first thing about the guy from personal experience...I'm like you...I thought he seemed like a helluva good guy who knows his stuff. I was casually mentioning to a fellow brother here in the chat room (On the old site) who is an illustrator that claims to know or had met Doug that I'd like to meet the guy someday and talk catfishing. He said no...you actually wouldnt if you knew how he really was....not very personable, and thinks he's holier than thou. I said what I said without the benefit of knowing firsthand how he is....maybe it's unfair....but it seems his reputation precedes him. All I do know is that he has the job I'd kill to have.

18. Redtick

Redtick New Member

State:
    Neoga, Illinois
    While we are on the In-Fishermen topic, my favorite episode is the one where the blonde Austrailian gal is teaching drop shotting methods. I learned so much from that segment! I would sure like to get some "in person" fishing tips from her! I am sure she could show me a few things that would be worth learning. ;) I don't think Doug was fishing with her that time but he probably does on other trips. Anyone that has a boat and doesn't drop shot fish for cats probably isn't catching as many cats as they could. :cool:
    Steve Hoffman of the In-Fishermen staff comes of as a dedicated catman to me. I don't know what he would be like in the boondocks but I would bet he could put you on some big cats. :)

19. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Flatheadhunter,I have searched for the book on Santee for a number of years without success.I saw a copy somebody was reading at Randolphs about 8/9 years ago but have never been able to find it as it is out of print.Please post the info on it so I can find it.I knew about the trees cabled together as several of the old guides had told me about doing that and I actually pulled up one with an anchor a while back.

20. mudcat_xpress

mudcat_xpress New Member

State:
    Beckley, WV
    I haven't read this book yet, but I am looking forward to going and getting, then setting down and reading the great tactics of catfishing.