Great Bed Fishing Set up!

Discussion in 'Bass Fishing' started by TX Fisherman, Mar 9, 2007.

1. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    i read this last year in an article in outdoor life, the rig was a 5-6 oz. pyramid weight and about 6 inches up was a shallow-medium depth crankbait. It's supposed to look like the crankbait is eating eggs, so the bass will strike, works really well in medium sized neighborhood ponds, or at least for me :big_smile:, good luck!!!

2. primitive

primitive Member

State:
    Dav. Ia.
    I would forget all that weight. A floating 6" Rapala any where near a bass nest is one of the best set ups. Just pull it down a foot or so deep and let it float back up. Close to the bank is good. The bass guarding the nest will think it is a blue gill robbing their nest and instant strike. primitive

3. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Big baits for bedding bass.
    And the reason.
    The male is the bed guard but being smaller in stature then the female he is reluctant to defend against a large bait. This draws the female into the fight.

I use a 10-12" artificial worm Texas rigged with 3/8 to 1/2 ounce weight because if I overcast the bed and hop it into the bed , many times both fish will spook off the bed. with a worm I can leave it there head down with the tail up. They'll be back home shortly.

4. skeetermagnet

skeetermagnet New Member

State:
    Edmond, Oklahoma
    Mark,

I do the same thing but with a Carolina rigged lizard. It really hacks them off bad and they just can't leave it alone.

5. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    Hey guys those really sound good, i like fishing soft plastics so i believe ill try those rigs this spring. but how can u really tell if it is a bed?

6. flathead20000

flathead20000 New Member

State:
    Indiana, Delphi
    What I have found in the last few years is to get yourself any soft plastic but a floating lizard or salamander is my choice toss it past the bed. Sometimes they will take it right away sometimes the won't. If they don't drag it in the bed and "get jiggy with it."'move it butt shake it,guaranteed stike. If you catch the male and have access to a live well. Put it in there, with him gone the female"Bigger fish"will protect the nest. She'll strike eventually. That being said let them go right away. There job is to make more for us to catch and you can bet that by the time you get them back in the water they will have already lost some eggs!! Good luck!