Great Bait!

Discussion in 'Homemade baits' started by mudkat, May 4, 2006.

1. mudkat

mudkat New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    alright ive got an all around good bait alittle like doug stanges alright you go to a local pond/lake and catch a carp size dosent matter. scale it and leave the skin on . then filet the meat off. cut into 1/2 inch by 1/2 inch chunks. put in a jar then layer the top of the space in the jar with a couple chicken livers. burrie it under dirt in a place where the sun hits it most of the day .leave it there for a week and then dig it up then its ready to fish i like to spray it with wd-40 so experiment a little if you'd like .thanks for reading

2. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    sounds like a good bait,except for 1 thing.WD-40,that can't be good for the fish or the water.

3. steve-o

steve-o New Member

State:
    ohio
    what kind of sportsman sprays WD40 on their bait? if your bait is so good, why do need WD40? the chemicals in that stuff are terrible, not to mention this practice is illegal. please don't fish any of the water that i do.

4. mudkat

mudkat New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    i heard on here that it works well for blues and channels so i tryed it and it actually works besides when ur fishing on a river allitle wd-40 wont hert any body you know all the crap that floats down the river? speak of the devil actuall"crap" as in human fesies!!!

5. catfishkatmando

catfishkatmando New Member

State:
    Salem, WV.
    I read some where that wd40 is fish oil based, I dont use it but you don't have to convince me but you have to convince the enviromental whackos and game wardens. SE YOU ON THE FISHBANK SOMETIME

6. steve-o

steve-o New Member

State:
    ohio
    i don't care where you heard it, or how well it works. i work with oil and similar chemicals and i can tell you WD40 is flamable, and harmfull to fish. self-justifying it doesn't make it ok. human poo is water soluble, natural, and doesn't poison the fish. you can't even compare the two! and no, it's not fish oil based, it's petroleum based, just like PB blaster.

7. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    I agree with you steve-o. Hey Mudkat, If you liked the taste of WD40 and sprayed it on your peanut butter and jelly sandwich everyday, do you think you would get sick?

WD40 is pollution when introduced in to a body of water.

8. vacatfish

vacatfish New Member

State:
    bedford virginia
    I would like to say thank you for posting that bait recipe. i was checking in my file cabinet of bait recipes.

Cause alot of them have been used by my family since alittle before the 1700s also for other type fish.

That is a old timers recipre that was used alot in the 1920s and 30s.

But please leave out the wd-40. im sorry for whoever it was that got your interest up in using wd-40 but they did get your interest into the wrong area.

Thats why we are here we are to keep our sport clean and protect it not kill it.

9. Ohio_River_Rat

Ohio_River_Rat New Member

State:
    Charlestown, Indiana
    wow i didn't realize WD-40 was so bad i won a lake tournament last year using it. the owner didn't really mind and was fishin next to me. but if its that bad for the water i guess i should prolly stop

10. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    I'd much prefer to be in the water with a little WD40 than have a 8" Baby Ruth come floating by. LOL. I'd have to check into the WD40 thing myself before putting it on any bait and casting it into the water.

11. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    The bait sounds like a good idea minus the WD40. It is a petroleum based lubricant that has many other uses away from the water. Please don't use this and ruin our fishing waters, if you want to add something else to the bait, go to a health store and buy some fish oil, will probaly work better for you anyhow!

Aaron

TA2D

12. steve-o

steve-o New Member

State:
    ohio
    sorry, accidental double post

13. Boogie68MHS

Boogie68MHS New Member

State:
    Tovey, IL
    I know people who use this and I believe those are the kind of people who started the Fish Oil thing.
    WD-40 stands for water displacement - 40th formula.
    All hazardous materials must be reported in the materiel saftey data sheet and a quick check will show it is petroleum based.

14. ohiocattracker

ohiocattracker New Member

State:
    Cincinnati Ohio
    Boogie has it right water displacment best thing we ever used while mudding or anytime we got distributor cap wet spray some WD and it will dryer out.

15. JohnC

JohnC New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Wow that sounds disgusting. I woundn't want be the first to open that jar. I would try it but my kids would probably find it first. That wouldnt make the misses very happy.

John

16. JohnC

JohnC New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I forgot to mention the WD 40. That just sounds like a bad idea. I know we have far worse in our waters,but that is no reason to polute. I would like to leave something behind for my children and grand children to enjoy. O.k.,that being said lets go cattin!

John

17. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I've heard of plenty of sour type baits working without using wd-40. I think I'll stick to using more natural types of bait.

18. channelcat_tracker

channelcat_tracker New Member

State:
    Iowa
    ive been told it works but im a good sportsman and i dont cheat on the game of catfishing. i think you should stop cuz it doesnt help the fish as good as it helps you. Shoulda kept your mouth shut on that one. no offense but your recipe was good until the wd40

19. catmancats

catmancats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    ive used a bait like that once with out the chicken liver and it does produce some decent catches when nothing else seems tobe working....

As far as the wd-40 ... a friend of mine paid a $250 fine for having it out of his tackle box beside is bait ...... game warden told him if he seen him use it he would have had a $500 fine and licesne taken for 6 months. They dont put up with that in Ohio...........

20. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I agree with most of these guys. If it didn't come out of the water...don't put it in the water. I'm sure your bait will work just as well without the WD-40. If everyone said, "A little bit in the river won't hurt." just think about all the little bits that would be in there! It like all the people that think leaving a little bit of trash on the bank won't hurt. Now look around at all the little bits all over the place. The problem is, it won't stay on the banks. It winds up in the river, where you and I fish and swim.