Great article about Flathead Catfish Movement

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by SangamonCatKiller, Feb 10, 2006.

1. SangamonCatKiller

SangamonCatKiller New Member

State:
    central illinois
    Too bad I payed 5 bucks for one article about flatheads. For anyone who has the latest that article about the slow summertime movement of flatheads is very interesting. I guess they tagged an amount of flatties and monitored them as they went about there business. Keep in mind this is in the summer when flatties are most inactive next to winter. They noticed that the average flathead moved 1 hour of the day out of 24 in the heat. Guess where they moved to . They favorite hunting grounds!!. They stated that the cats were moving in straight lines from log jam to log jam, no further than 300 yards of there original starting point. When they did move they did not search like they do in the prespawn and postspawn. Instead they made a vline for there favorite foriaging area and would stay at one for hours at a time making a 10 or 15 minute move every few hours to another point of cover. Basically they were trying to make the point that they can be caught in the summer, but the typicall sandflats outside of the cover that work so well will not in most cases. Instead try moving from cover point to cover point in the heat of summer and hope that when they do move that it is to the piece of cover that you have placed your bait.
    sck

2. bro_catfish

bro_catfish New Member

State:
    Ohio ,Coshocton County
    Hey thats interesting info , Ill file this post away with the rest of the super helpfull post from here for the summer time flathead hunts !
    Thanks

3. SangamonCatKiller

State:
    central illinois
    also the peak times for movement were as follows:

12pm to 2pm
    7pm(Sunset) to 11pm with a drastic fall off at midnight
    then the movement picks back up at 1am and is pretty steady until 5am(sunrise), at which point it drops off again until noon.

4. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i read the same thing at wallyworld today, couldnt justify buying it for one article. i was suprised at how similar some of the findings were to my own observations. not all but some, and the ones that were, were identical. the study focussed on movements and not necessarily feeding, just because they are movin doesnt mean they are feeding.

5. SangamonCatKiller

State:
    central illinois
    Very, true. It doesn't say anywhere that they observed any of the fish feeding. They kind of implied in a way that because of the amount of food they need that some of the movements were for feeding, or stalking purposes. My only problem was in the summer I didn't change my tactics in that I would hit them flats at night continously. I think I will try to be patient but at the same time, moving often to the next set of cover.

6. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    the thing that stuck out most to me was the subject about how little they move during the summer. im assuming theyre talking about post-spawn july-late sept. after they start feeding again after spawning those flats are very, very predictable (at least for me)! they seem to be near deeper holes and only roam the outer fringes of them. i used to hate fishing pre-spawn and always done my best from mid-late july through mid october. figured out a few years back i was fishing the deeper areas too early. also the times they feed are very predictable, i posted somewhere else about the times i do good.

7. flatcatnightmare

flatcatnightmare New Member

State:
    south east Indiana
    Heres one of my fishing holes thats loaded with structure

Attached Files:

8. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    is that a train trussel in background?
    looks like a good bunch of hideing for cats
    in those log jams.

9. Rainman4u2

Rainman4u2 Guest

You must be refering to pages 68-73 in the recent issue of In-Fisherman. Luckly I have a subscription, and don't pay the cover price. On page 14 there is also a short article on regulating catfish on the upper Mississippi, and an article on the same page on testing hook penetration.

The magazine is not a waste of money in my opinion.

Ray

10. 5gallonsofsafety

5gallonsofsafety New Member

State:
    illinois
    do like the concept of dayfishing and also love the travel rate i like to set up early so im hoping that all that information works to the advantage we're lookin for i do play to start in the next few weeks if posable so i like 300 yards im planning a day attack for the first strike ( i sure am ready to hit the holes) but am concearned about the bait oppertunity. we have already cought some shad (most very tiny) but im talking about gills what is the best way to up our odds in colder weather?

11. 710split

710split New Member

State:
    iowa
    I sure would like to see flatcatnightmare's picture. I'd better get 4 more posts on record