grease & oil

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by CountryHart, Jan 23, 2009.

1. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Just got my Penn cleaned up. Specs say to grease pinion and idler gears but not to heavy. Says oil the other points. Question is what kind of grease? Thinkin bout using breech plug grease for a muzzle loader. It's not a real heavy grease, whats ya'll experience or opinions on this. I have Abu oil i'll put on the rest of it.

2. Cuda

Cuda Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Name:
    Mike
    I use a good reel grease where needed and hot sause oil. I would not use the breech plug grease it is a antiseze not a grease. For a reel you should use a reel grease. Antiseze should not be used instead of grease.

3. cathouse

cathouse New Member

State:
    NY
    I personally use super lube teflon based grease on all my reels , comes in a small grey tube i usually get it from wallt world here in NY . They have a web site you can check it out and read the specs you might be surprised , and if not looking don't cost you nothing .

4. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    ^^^What he said. Superlube is a synthetic grease...they also make a synthetic machine oil. Good stuff.

5. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    I use super lube Good stuff

6. wneubauer

wneubauer New Member

State:
    McKinney, TX
    Penn has a synthetic reel grease which is light and works very well. I use Cal's drag grease on the drags. I am experimenting with ReelX vs. Penn's reel oil to see which I like better. Both seem to work very well.

7. Relocated-Yankee

Relocated-Yankee New Member

State:
    Goldsboro
    I too like super lube synthetic, but there are a lot of good ones out there. Don't use lithium, or wheel bearing grease , or anything but a grease designed specifically for reels. Most of the major reel manfactures have their own. Most of my reels are over 40 yrs old and still work like new, it's that important. Use and acid brush to spread a thin layer of grease, no more.

Acid brushes are what plumbers use to spread on the flux. Get them at hardware and home supply stores.

8. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Ive been using quantum hot sauce oil and grease, good stuff.

9. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I bought some Hot Sauce grease this morning. Had some Abu oil. It slicked her up pretty smooth

10. stoney53

stoney53 Well-Known Member

State:
    PA
    have to agree with most here superlube does a good job

11. Relocated-Yankee

Relocated-Yankee New Member

State:
    Goldsboro
    Hot Sauce is a good choice, I use it on my surfcasting reels. The stuff is slick and it really protects the metal.

12. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I used to use Hoppes oil in the past before I switched to Quantum.

13. cathouse

cathouse New Member

State:
    NY
    Now it's just strange untill now not many in my circles even new what superlube was , no big money advertisement you know , i should have known just mention it around a bunch of fisherman and lo and behold .

14. crab

crab New Member

State:
    Ironton,Ohio
    I use the Abu silicate reel lube and oil. I also use the hot sauce!