Grayson Lake

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by e5catfish, Aug 25, 2008.

1. e5catfish

e5catfish New Member

State:
    Smilax, KY
    Need help! Going to Grayson Lake this weekend. Does anyone have any knoweledge about catfish in Grayson? How is the best way to fish this lake? When is the best time? Will they be biting good right now? Does it have any big flatheads in it? If so, where is the best place to catch 'em? Planning on putting in at the marina and going 5 or 6 miles above the Bruin ramp. Is this a good location? Where is the best place to catch small bluegills for bait?

2. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I have no idea about this lake, but good luck with your trip!! I am sure that someone is familar with this location, we will just keep bumping this up to get more attention.

3. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    One of the guys I work with said there are plenty of catfish in Grayson Lake but he didn't go into detail as to where or how to catch them. He fishes from the bank and he's hush hush when it come to his fishing hole. I haven't fished it this year.

4. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

Lots of questions...:roll_eyes::wink::smile2:
    I've only bank fished it so far. There is supposed to be a good # of cats in it though. Not sure about Flatties but I'd say there are some good ones in there If you can find them. I'd say the cats will probably be biting, especially now we've got some rain to help oxygenate and cool the water temps down. I'd say there will be a lot of people on the lake this weekend so I'd say to try my luck at night when the traffic is lower.
    I'd try where a feeder creek runs into the main lake for the Flatties & Channels especially If there is structure nearby. Thats usually good areas for them to hang out. Also try a shallow flat close to a drop off at night with a Big Gill. Usually have good luck doing that.
    I'd try right at the Marina to catch some Gills. Those areas always seems to hold them.
    Good Luck and let us know how you did, I may be asking you where their at before long...:wink::smile2:

5. CatMaster3

CatMaster3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Cant help you but im sure someone can:big_smile:

6. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    IF you use liver I think there are some hybrid stripes that might help keep you busy if you can get it out far enough . Never fished there but think I read it in KY fish and game .

7. e5catfish

e5catfish New Member

State:
    Smilax, KY
    Thanks for the input. Went to Grayson this past Sunday night and jugged it. Caught 5 cats all on 12' jugs for a total of 16.14 pounds. No big ones. That lake beats anything I've ever seen! Never had an experience like it. Put in at the marina and went 10 miles up the lake to Twin Bays. Above that, watch out! The channel zig zags back and forth like a snake. One minute you're in 23' of water and then 2' then 17' then 3' ! It absolutely blew my mind. Kept me a nervous wreck the whole time. It looks like the Grand Canyon all the way. If you've ever been to the "turtles back" in the head of Craigs creek on Laurel, it's like that for miles and miles. Bait was good and water color was murky. I know they're in there! Gonna make a post about Yatesville. Some other guys up there said go to Yatesville for all night action.

8. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Thanks for the report Bobby. May just have to head up that way soon.:wink: