Gravel Bars for Flathead Catfish

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Catmaster, Mar 4, 2006.

1. Catmaster

Catmaster New Member

State:
    SE Kansas
    There are numerous gravel bars on the river I fish and have permision and have bank fished off of alot of these. I have always done pretty good but I think if I knew some better techniques for catching more flathead off of gravel bars it would help. What is the best way to get good results for fishing gravel bars for flathead??????

2. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    If you are not getting hung up once in a while, you are not where they are. Thats just my thoughts.

3. catman872

catman872 Member

State:
    missouri
    They would prolly be more productive at night.

4. Gary S.

Gary S. New Member

State:
    Missouri
    My Dad fishes a gravel bar on a river near his house. He started drifting a float while bank fishing. His catch went way up.
    So, somethin ya might try, is to set out a rod or two tightlining, then rig a float on one, cast it upstream and let it drift through the hole. Cast it back to the head of the hole and drift again.

5. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    im with gary on this one. i use two bottom rigs and the third is a float rig. the float will take your bait rite were it needs to be. i have also just drifted my bait with lighter wieght,also a great tactic for probing a hole or bar!

6. BigCatSteve

BigCatSteve New Member

State:
    Huber Heights,Ohio
    flatheads feed mainly at night and i would fith that sandbar at night with live bait.they will go to that shallow looking for food.should get you hooked on a flathead if there are any there

7. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    Good advice thus far. The flathead will patrol shallow areas such as riffles at night time looking for trouble. The only thing I'd add to this is to locate the holes within the riffle...preferrable with woody or rocky cover inside the holes...these are "hotspots" within the hotspot. Can't go wrong with a lively black perch anchored with a no roll sinker to keep your bait in place. Patience is the key here...you're waiting on the fish to come to you.

8. KanHeadhunter

KanHeadhunter New Member

State:
    S. E. K.
    I have a gravel bar very close to my cabin on the river. I have never thought of try to catch flathead off of it.

It runs along side the river bank on the eastside to a point at the westside. Water runs right along the westside when the river is running. It makes a eddy at the belly of the garvel bar. There isn't much cover on the bar but it runs about 3-4 feet deep, the closer to the west bank the deep it gets.

Things for the info on gravel bars........I will give it a try. Now all I need is rain!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. liveforcattin08

liveforcattin08 New Member

State:
    ohio
    alot of times at night people are in too deep of water. i catch most nighttime flats just feet from the bank.we fish off a large gravel bar at night and the eddie behind it is only foot and a half deep. at night lots of bait fish move in there and if you shine a light in there there is often a couple big cats. we just throw a bait four or five feet out